Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:

Owen delighted to get off the mark for Stoke

Goal.com
Pulis: No regrets over Stoke move for Owen
.

View photo

Pulis: No regrets over Stoke move for Owen
Stoke City striker Michael Owen expressed his delight to have got off the mark for the club after opening his account during the 3-1 defeat away at Swansea City on Saturday.

The 33-year-old headed home a consolation strike, the goal marking his 150th in the English top flight and his first for the Potters after a frustrating start to his career at the Britannia Stadium, which has seen him make just five appearances so far this season.

Having become only the seventh player in Premier League history to reach the milestone, the former Liverpool star is now determined to make a big impact for Tony Pulis's side in the second half of the season.

"It's obviously nice to do it - I did fear that I would never get there," Owen told the club's official website. "You do worry and think that it just isn't meant to be but thankfully I got there and it is another good achievement for me. It was a nice way to score my first goal for the club, in certain ways.

"It is now just a question of me doing well, training well and then taking the chance in the team when it comes along. Hopefully, the second half of the season can be a lot better for me."

The former England international admits that he has found it difficult to break into the Potters side this term due to the form of his teammates, with Pulis often favoring playing just one striker up front.

He added: "I have slipped a little down the pecking order in many respects with Kenwyne [Jones]'s recent form, and the way Peter [Crouch] started the season.

"You do worry a little bit that you won't make the impact that you want to. As I said though, I am there now and hopefully I can build upon that."

Follow GOAL.COM on Twitter

Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Soccer
View Comments (0)