Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:

NHL upholds ban of Bruins' Thornton

The SportsXchange

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman upheld the 15-game suspension assessed Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton by the Department of Player Safety for punching and injuring an unsuspecting opponent.

The suspension was handed down Dec. 14 and Thornton's in-person appeal was heard Dec. 20.

Thornton dropped Brooks Orpik of the Pittsburgh Penguins in the first period of a game at Boston on Dec. 7. With Orpik on the ice, Thornton landed several punches to his head. He was taken off the ice on a stretcher.

"First two, three days were miserable," Thornton said last week in his first public comments since the incident. "Headaches. Since the incident, there has been no memory loss."

The 33-year-old said he spoke to Thornton, who reached out and was apologetic, but will not watch video of the attack.

He has passed baseline concussion tests and said he is ready for contact in practice.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Thornton will forfeit $84,615.45. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund, the NHL said.
Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Hockey
View Comments (3)