The NFL Players Association remains an interested observer in the league investigation into alleged misconduct with the Miami Dolphins
, who suspended offensive guard Richie Incognito
indefinitely Sunday while probing teammates' history with offensive tackle Jonathan Martin
"We expect that the NFL and its clubs create a safe and professional workplace for all players and that owners, executives, coaches and players should set the best standards and examples," the NFLPA said in a statement. "It is the duty of this union to hold the clubs and teams accountable for safety and professionalism in the workplace.
"As the representative organization of all players, the NFLPA will insist on a fair investigation for all involved. We will continue to remain in contact with the impacted players, their representatives and player leadership."
The NFL is conducting an objective investigation into the actions of Incognito and others after Martin left the team last week. Martin, who remains on the 53-man roster, had an emotional breakdown after what was portrayed as a prank in the team cafeteria.
The incident eventually brought to light details of repeated bullying by Incognito. According to reports, Martin feared retribution from Incognito, who in text and voicemail messages used racial slurs, threatened to kill Martin and said he would slap Martin's mother.
Head coach Joe Philbin met with Martin last week, but allegations of personal misconduct were not brought to the team's attention until Sunday, Philbin said.
When the team gathered more information, Philbin said he suspended Incognito immediately and, along with owner Stephen Ross, requested then NFL begin a thorough investigation.
Martin's representatives turned over multiple voicemail and text messages alleged to be from Incognito. According to reports, Martin was also forced to pay tens of thousands of dollars for meals and a trip to Las Vegas he did not attend.
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- Jonathan Martin
- Richie Incognito
- NFL Players Association