On the same day the NFL launched an investigation into alleged misconduct by Miami Dolphins players over the treatment of teammate Jonathan Martin, the man at the center of the controversy finally spoke publicly.
Richie Incognito, the guard who was suspended by the team for his alleged racist harassment of Martin, spoke with WSVN-TV on Tuesday.
"You know what, I'm just trying to weather the storm right now," Incognito said. "This will pass."
Asked about his status with the team, Incognito said, "You know, no comment right now. We're just gonna kinda weather the storm, and that's it."
The South Florida Sun-Sentinel, citing anonymous sources, reported that Dolphins coaches asked Incognito to toughen up Martin last spring. The sources said Incognito possibly took the request to an unwanted extreme.
The NFL got involved at the request of Miami head coach Joe Philbin and team owner Stephen Ross. Ted Wells, a senior partner in the New York law firm of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, was appointed by Commissioner Roger Goodell to direct an independent investigation into the matter.
NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith is trying to arrange a meeting between the agents for Martin and Incognito to try to resolve the issue, ESPN reported. No time has been established for such a meeting.
ESPN also reported that Martin recently checked into a Florida hospital to be treated for emotional distress, which subsequently led to him leaving the team last week. According to the report, Martin stayed at the hospital only briefly before returning to California with his parents.
--- Wade Phillips is officially taking over as interim coach of the Houston Texans while Gary Kubiak recovers from an illness that hit him at halftime of Monday night's game against the Indianapolis Colts. Phillips is also the team's defensive coordinator.
Kubiak is expected to make a full recovery from a transient ischemic attack, which temporarily disrupts blood flow to the brain, but there is no timetable for his return to coaching.
---Denver Broncos backup offensive lineman John Moffitt decided he had played enough football and so he walked away from the game on Wednesday at age 27.
The Broncos had placed Moffitt on the reserve/left squad list Tuesday after he did not report to the team on Monday after a bye week.
The Broncos have five days to release Moffitt, who walked away from more than $1 million in salary for the remainder of this season and 2014.
---Clarence "Ace" Parker, who was the oldest living member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, died Wednesday morning at age 101, the Hall of Fame announced.
Parker, the only Hall of Famer to live to be 100, was inducted with the Class of 1972.
---Cleveland Browns wide receiver Greg Little offered his defense for ripping the helmet off the head of Baltimore Ravens safety James Ihedigbo and throwing it during Sunday's AFC North matchup.
Little said Wednesday that Ihedigbo was choking him at the bottom of the pile in the first quarter of the Browns' 24-18 win.
"I know the ref was saying 'let go of his face mask,' but he was choking me, so I'm not (going to let go)," Little said, according to The Plain Dealer.
Little said the NFL has not fined him yet.
---Former Dallas Cowboys running back Tony Dorsett joined the chorus of former players who say their lives have been affected by the head trauma associated with playing football.
Dorsett acknowledged during an interview that he has experienced suicidal thoughts and depression that impacts the quality of his life.
--- New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma, who made his season debut on Sunday against the New York Jets, was placed on injured reserve by the team on Wednesday, ending his season, multiple media outlets reported.
Vilma was activated from injured reserve to play Sunday, but his stay on the active roster lasted just one game. He had been sidelined for the first seven games because of knee problems, but it's unclear whether a new injury was responsible for putting him on the injured reserve list again.