NBA free-agency tracker:

NFL roundup: Dumervil may be back with Broncos soon

The SportsXchange

Free agent defensive end Elvis Dumervil could be back with the Denver Broncos by the end of the week.

Dumervil became a free agent as a result of a mix-up on Friday that prevented him from formally accepting a pay cut and re-signing with the Broncos by the deadline. Dumervil has since fired his agent and replaced him with well-known veteran representative Tom Condon.

Condon and the Broncos lost an appeal to have the verbal agreement honored by the league, the Denver Post reported.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots and Baltimore Ravens reportedly contacted Dumervil to gauge his interest, but Dumervil's "priority" remains re-signing with the Broncos.

--The Tennessee Titans released Matt Hasselbeck, adding another former starting quarterback to the market after negotiations failed to produce a compromise to reduce Hasselbeck's $5.5 million salary in 2013.

USA Today Sports reported that Hasselbeck was negotiating with the Indianapolis Colts, with whom he would back up Andrew Luck.

Hasselbeck, 37, started all 16 games in 2011. He gave up the starting job in 2012 but made five starts as second-year quarterback Jake Locker battled a shoulder injury.

--The Ravens are in danger of kicking off their Super Bowl title defense on the road next season unless the NFL is able to work out scheduling conflict with Major League Baseball.

The NFL has a 10-year tradition of the reigning champion opening its regular season at home on Thursday night. However, the Baltimore Ravens have a scheduled home game on Thursday, Sept. 5, and the teams share a parking lot.

The 2012 opener was moved to a Wednesday to avoid conflicting with President Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention.

--Commissioner Roger Goodell and Hall of Fame running back Jim Brown announced settlement of a class action lawsuit over the use of retired player images in NFL Films footage and video games.

The NFL unveiled its plan for establishment of the "Common Good Fund" to which $42 million will be provided over an eight-year period.

--Patriots owner Robert Kraft suggested wide receiver Wes Welker had inflated expectations when he could not reach a contract agreement with New England and signed with the Broncos instead.

Kraft said he believed the Patriots' two-year offer was better for Welker, and that agent David Dunn overvalued Welker and wound up getting him less money -- and security -- with a two-year, $12 million deal in Denver.

--Linebacker A.J. Hawk agreed to a $7.25 million pay cut to remain with the Green Bay Packers.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Hawk, who was owed $17.85 million over the final three years remaining on his current contract, would make $10.6 million, the remnants of a five-year, $33.75 million deal he signed in March 2011.

--Former Buffalo Bills starting quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick met with the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday.

Fitzpatrick was released by Buffalo on the first day of free agency, ending his unsuccessful run as the franchise's starting quarterback.

The Bengals also re-signed linebacker Rey Maualuga to a two-year, $6.5 million contract. The fifth-year player was an unrestricted free agent after finishing second on the team with 152 tackles in 2012.

--Minnesota Vikings coach Leslie Frazier moved quickly to diffuse any quarterback controversy, saying Christian Ponder is the team's unquestioned starter.

Matt Cassel was signed to a one-year, $4 million contract last week, but Frazier said it was with the clear understanding that the veteran was brought in as "insurance" in case of injury to Ponder.

--Kansas City Chiefs left tackle Branden Albert has accepted his one-year franchise tender of $9,828,000 and will sign it soon, according to USA Today's Mike Garafolo.

--Garafolo also reported safety Kenny Phillips' one-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles to be for $1.85 million.

--Tight end Benjamin Watson signed a three-year deal with the New Orleans Saints, who also re-signed Ramon Humber.

--Right tackle Tyler Polumbus announced via Twitter that he has agreed to a two-year deal to return to the Washington Redskins after visiting the Jacksonville Jaguars in free agency. "Well Jacksonville was tempting...but I couldn't leave these Coaches and Teammates. 2 more years!" he wrote.

Punter Sav Rocca also re-signed with the Redskins. Terms were not disclosed.

--Former San Diego Chargers linebacker Antwan Barnes tweeted he will sign with the New York Jets.

--Linebacker Ernie Sims re-signed with the Dallas Cowboys. Sims joined the team midseason in 2012 and started six of the 10 games he played in, recording 44 tackles and a sack.

--Restricted free agent cornerback Cassius Vaughn signed his qualifying offer with the Colts.

--The Oakland Raiders signed unrestricted free agent defensive tackle Vance Walker.

--Tight end Matt Spaeth signed a two-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Financial terms were not disclosed.
Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Football
View Comments