With the addition of three players from walk-on status to getting a full ride, lets take a look at how Nebraska is using their 85 scholarships.
Yesterday, at his red blazered press conference, Nebraska Cornhuskers Head Coach Bo Pelini announced that three players had been put on scholarship.
We never really officially announced it, but we had a couple walk-ons who were put on scholarship, Sam Burtch, Sam Foltz and Brandon Reilly. There will be a few other walk-ons who will go on scholarship this year, and we’ll announce that at a later time when all the i’s get dotted and t’s get crossed.
So, since we don't know who is on scholarship yet past Burtch, Foltz and Reilly, lets take a look at who is getting a ride this season. Unlike this piece I did in June, we will not look at who is on the sheet from verbals.
Remember, this is who is on scholarship. Not a depth chart. Hence, you won't see Ryker Fyfe on this list at QB.
|CB||Mitchell ||Rose |
Well, there you have it. Nebraska is using 80 of it's 85 scholarships currently. A couple of things stand out:
- I did put Jaevon Walton in the Linebacking core, as he's still under scholarship. That being said, take him out and Nebraska has 6 scholarship Linebackers, which isn't that many. Granted, losing Jared Afalava doesn't help that number. Senior Trevor Roach is not on scholarship. I do wonder why Roach could not be one of the final 5 scholarships.
- Since he's been put there also, I put Jerald Foster on Defensive Tackle for the season. If/when he moves back to the OL, that's where he will go.
- Nebraska has as many on scholarship from Special Teams as they do scholarship QB's.
- 32 Freshman, between true and redshirt kids. That's amazing to me.
The next time this changes, we'll have the breakdown once again.
More from sbnation.com:
- Staff Predictions: The 2014 NCAA Football Season
- Old Farmer's Almanac Predicts 2014 as Year of Really Bad Tackling
- A Student's Story: A Different Kind Of Recruiting
- 8/20 Practice Report: DJ Foster Flips to DT, Kevin Williams "OK", Pelini Hands On Special Teams
- Nebrasketball: Huskers Unveil 2014-15 Schedule