Chris Paul and Blake Griffin have led the Clippers to their longest win streak ever. (Getty Images)
The Los Angeles Clippers are now the best team in not only L.A., but the entire NBA.
The Clippers make their debut atop the Yahoo! Sports NBA power rankings this week after earning their franchise-record 13th straight victory by beating the Phoenix Suns on Sunday night. Led by Chris Paul, Blake Griffin and reserve Jamal Crawford, the deep Clippers have also won a franchise-record six straight road games.
The Clippers' last loss?
Nov. 26 against the New Orleans Hornets.
Records are through Sunday's games.
1. Los Angeles Clippers (21-6, previous ranking: second): The Clippers play host to the Los Angeles Lakers on Jan. 4. Good luck getting that ticket on a Friday night at Staples Center.
2. Oklahoma City Thunder (21-5, previous ranking: first): After losing to the Heat in last season's NBA Finals, the Thunder get a chance to measure themselves against the champs on Christmas.
3. San Antonio Spurs (21-8, previous ranking: third): Spurs not invited to participate in Christmas Day matchups. Not that they care.
4. Miami Heat (18-6, previous ranking: sixth): The Heat are rolling, having won six of their past seven while holding each opponent under 100 points during the streak.
5. New York Knicks (20-7, previous ranking: fourth): Knicks become first team in Eastern Conference to reach 20 wins with victory over Minnesota on Sunday. New York visits Lakers on Christmas.
6. Memphis Grizzlies (18-7, previous ranking: seventh): Just like the Spurs, the small-market Grizzlies are one of the league's elite teams. And just like the Spurs, they won't be playing on Christmas.
7. Golden State Warriors (18-10, previous ranking: fifth): Warriors had a tough week in which they lost to the Lakers and the struggling Sacramento Kings.
8. Atlanta Hawks (16-9, previous ranking: eighth): The Hawks are playing inconsistent having lost three of their past five games. The problem? Coach Larry Drew says the team needs good energy.
9. Indiana Pacers (16-12, previous ranking: 10th): The Pacers have finally picked up some momentum with victories in six of their past seven games. David West, Paul George and George Hill are all playing well.
10. Chicago Bulls (15-11, previous ranking: ninth): Fans can dream about a Christmas matchup between Derrick Rose and Jeremy Lin. Rose's ongoing recovery from knee surgery makes that dream just a fantasy.
11. Denver Nuggets (15-13, previous ranking: 14th): The Nuggets have a tough back-to-back in Los Angeles against the Clippers and the Lakers.
12. Milwaukee Bucks (14-12, previous ranking: 12th): Guard Monta Ellis is averaging 20.2 points, 5.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists in December. He's on a winning team, so does that mean he'll finally become an All-Star?
13. Houston Rockets (14-12, previous ranking: 17th): Expect the Rockets to sign guard Patrick Beverley at week’s end and then send him to the D-League for some seasoning after playing in Russia.
14. Brooklyn Nets (14-12, previous ranking: 11th): Deron Williams blames coach Avery Johnson's system for his scoring struggles. Williams also had the lowest shooting percentage for Team USA at the Olympics.
15. Minnesota Timberwolves (13-12, previous ranking: 13th): Minnesota has dropped three of its past four games. An eye injury forced forward Kevin Love to miss Sunday's loss in New York.
16. Los Angeles Lakers (13-14, previous ranking: 20th): The Lakers have won four straight games and now have Steve Nash back. Expect Los Angeles to make up some ground in the West.
17. Utah Jazz (15-14, previous ranking: 15th): The Jazz suffered a major loss with point guard Mo Williams out indefinitely because of a thumb injury. Jamaal Tinsley is now the starter.
18. Boston Celtics (13-13, previous ranking: 16th): The Celtics have dropped four of their past five games. A loss at Brooklyn on Christmas would give them a losing record.
19. Portland Trail Blazers (13-13, previous ranking: 19th): With Portland at the bottom, no team in the Northwest Division has a losing record. Blazers have won four of their past five games.
20. Philadelphia 76ers (13-15, previous ranking: 18th): The Sixers are falling fast having lost six of their past seven games. Seven-game Western Conference road trip up won't help, either.
21. Orlando Magic (12-15, previous ranking: 21st): Injured forward Glen Davis (shoulder), who is averaging 16 points and 7.9 rebounds, hopes to return sooner than the four weeks he is projected to be out.
22. Dallas Mavericks (12-16, previous ranking: 22nd): Dirk Nowitzki had eight points and six rebounds in 20 minutes in his surprise season debut in loss to San Antonio on Sunday.
23. Phoenix Suns (11-17, previous ranking: 23rd): Steve Nash will return to Phoenix (with the Lakers) on Jan. 30, giving Suns fans something to look forward to.
24. Toronto Raptors (9-19, previous ranking: 27th): The Raptors have gone from awful to hot after winning five games in a row. Should Toronto take Jose Calderon off the trading block?
You’ll recall that right before the 2013 playoffs started, the San Antonio Spurs surprisingly released swingman Stephen Jackson. The journeyman small forward was a pivotal member of the team’s 2003 championship turn, and had played well during San Antonio’s three-round … Continue reading →
UFC officials on Tuesday announced that UFC Fight Night 33 main eventer Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva was suspended for nine months and would forfeit his $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus. Silva tested positive for elevated levels of testosterone for his Dec. 7 bout with Mark Hunt in Brisbane, Australia.…
They don't call it "The Voice" for nothin'. It was a big ole battle of the multi-octave divas on Monday's final "Voice" Season 5 showdown, as the remarkable Tessanne Chin took on Whitney Houston's near-untouchable "I Have Nothing," and then pint-sized powerhouse Jacquie Lee belted Jennifer…
COMMENTARY | The Rajon Rondo rumors probably won't stop until after the trade deadline. The star point guard has yet to take the floor for the Boston Celtics this season, but his name has been thrown around in plenty of trade rumors. Publicly, Danny Ainge has maintained that he intends to keep…
COMMENTARY | In an era where the WWE is the only major professional wrestling company in the United States, it's rare that a big-name free agent hits the market. On Dec. 16, former TNA Champion AJ Styles confirmed that he is no longer under contract to the company. "Today for the first time in 11…
The New York Yankees were hit with a $28 million luxury tax bill, pushing their total past the $250 million mark since the penalty began in 2003. According to Major League Baseball calculations sent to teams Tuesday, the Los Angeles Dodgers were the only other team that exceeded the tax threshold…
“I think that everyone knows their right timing and their moment they’re living and we’ve got to respect Georges St-Pierre for everything that he’s done in this sport,” Silva told MMAWeekly.com on Tuesday. “If he feels that this is the correct time, we’ve got to respect him.”
Philadelphia Eagles running back LeSean McCoy had a little fun with his teammates on the flight home, announcing the Dallas Cowboys won, to help lift their spirits after a loss to the Minnesota Vikings.
Chris Kaman has played just 12 minutes in the last month with the Los Angeles Lakers, and those were only mop up minutes performed in extended garbage time in a Laker loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder last week. The … Continue reading →
Tricia Drummond opened her eyes, staring at a group of people that were staring down at her. She wasn’t sure how she ended up on the Verizon Center floor. She didn’t know why she was bleeding, because she didn’t feel … Continue reading →
COMMENTARY | Floyd Mayweather may be in the right place at the right time to reap the unexpected benefits coming from "Baby Bro" Adrien Broner's upset defeat last Saturday night. Marcos Maidana's shockingly easy dismantling of Broner Saturday night at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas has…
People in Seattle are geeked about their Seahawks' success this season, and a possible Super Bowl run. But you could understand if one area car dealership was less than pleased with Sunday's results. The Seahawks dismantled the New York Giants … Continue reading →
Thinking ahead is a necessity in fantasy football. By the conclusion of Monday night, owners need to immediately turn their thoughts to roster maintenance so as to account for the ever-changing NFL landscape. Injuries, depth chart fluctuations and upcoming matchups need to be mulled in an effort to…
By Mary Wisniewski CHICAGO (Reuters) - The Chicago-area mansion belonging to American basketball star and NBA franchise owner Michael Jordan goes up for auction on Monday, according to a real estate auction house. The 56,000-square-foot (5,200 square-meter) home on more than seven acres in the…
Over three decades as an NBA head coach, Hall of Famer Don Nelson developed a reputation as something of a mad scientist. Whether it involved turning a forward into a point guard or playing five perimeter players at the same … Continue reading →
Click on the image for a larger version. Regular readers of this blog are likely familiar with Dave Delisle, the man behind the wonderfully creative and nerdy website, Dave's Geeky Hockey. We've featured several of Dave's pop culture-inspired hockey jerseys … Continue reading →
We didn't know it at the time, but then-UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre and challenger Johny Hendricks met one another at UFC 167 last month at polar opposite points in their career. If that fact didn't become clear through the fight - one in which Hendricks controlled and did the most…