The Montreal Impact confirmed their first signing of the offseason Friday in the form of Uruguayan forward and winger Santiago Gonzalez.
The 21-year-old Montevideo native hails from Uruguayan side Sud America, where he spent the last three seasons. Gonzalez last year helped Sud America attain promotion to the first division, and he’s led the team in scoring with five goals in 14 games this season while playing predominantly on the left side of midfield.
Impact sporting director Nick De Santis, who did the bulk of the scouting ahead of this deal, said in a news release Friday that he hopes Gonzalez can help provide a spark for the Impact in attack.
“Santiago is a young striker that has already played three professional seasons,” De Santis said. “He is a dynamic forward that moves very well and can play with his back to the goal. It will take a bit of time to adapt, but I think he can bring a different element to the team.”