Montreal 6-0 Toronto (6-2 agg.): Dominant Impact charge into final

Rudi Schuller
May 2, 2013
Montreal 6-0 Toronto (6-2 agg.): Dominant Impact charge into final

The Montreal Impact erased a two-goal deficit with a masterclass performance against Toronto FC at Stade Saputo on Wednesday, winning 6-0 and advancing to the final of the Amway Canadian Championship.

A top notch performance by Justin Mapp, who scored the first goal and played a part in three more, led the hosts to their first ever victory over TFC in Voyageurs Cup. Marco Di Vaio chipped in two, andDaniele Paponi, Andres Romero, and Andrew Wenger also got their names on the scoresheet, as the Impact delighted small-but-vocal crowd.

It was actually Toronto that started positively, as the visiting side nearly grabbed a lead just moments after the opening whistle. Robert Earnshaw found his way past both Impact central defenders and hit the post in the second minute.

The teams would trade possession and chances for the following several minutes, as the officials were very quick to shut down any physical play. Yellow cards to two TFC players set the tone as neither side looked to give an inch.

That couldn't last forever, though, and it was the home team that would draw first blood in the 24th minute. Romero sent in a cross that found Mapp, who made no mistake in slotting home and putting Toronto's aggregate lead under extreme pressure.

Just six minutes later, the Impact thought they had scored a second goal through Andrew Wenger, but his tally was called back for a foul, drawing the ire of the home crowd.

They didn't have to wait long, however, as Paponi struck in the 33rd minute to give the Impact a 2-0 lead in the match and a level score on aggregate. The Italian followed up on a shot by Mapp, whose strike couldn't beat Stefan Frei. Fortunately for Montreal, the ball found Paponi, who knew exactly what to do with it.

The nightmare wouldn't end there for Frei, as Di Vaio, who had come on for an injured Paponi just moments earlier, got in on the goal frenzy in the 44th minute. Mapp was once again involved, with his cross finding the Impact's highest-priced player for the go-ahead goal.

Mercifully for TFC, the Impact ran out of time to score another before the halftime whistle, and the visitors went into the locker room shell-shocked and suddenly needing to score a goal of their own.

The break seemed - falsely - to be the recipe needed by the Reds, as they came out of the half on the front foot. A half-chance by Earnshaw was all that TFC could muster though, and the lack of bite by the visiting side sealed its doom.

At the hour mark, Romero put the nail in Toronto's coffin as he comibned with Di Vaio on the counterattack and grabbed the fourth for Montreal. It was particularly crushing for TFC as it looked the brighter of the two squads up to that point in the second half.

From then on out it was academical, as TFC had no answers for a steadfast opponent that showed a different class on the night. Di Vaio and Wenger added late strikes, completing a humiliating night for the Reds.

With the win, Montreal advances to the Canadian Championship final against the winner of the series between the Vancouver Whitecaps and FC Edmonton. The two western-based sides were to meet in the second leg of their semifinal later Wednesday night in British Columbia.

Follow GOAL.COM CANADA on Twitter