Here's all that's worth knowing for Monday, Sept. 1 (click here for today's scores).
Oh, before we dig in, let's note that Cole Hamels and three Phillies relievers teamed up to pitch a no-hitter against the Braves on Monday. Moving on ...
- Astros: Relieved MGR Bo Porter and bench coach Dave Trembley of their duties. Tom Lawless will serve as interim manager for the rest of the 2014 season.
- Brewers: Activated RHP Matt Garza (left oblique strain) from the DL.
- Marlins: RHP Henderson Alvarez exited his start with a strained left oblique. He's day-to-day for now.
- Reds: As expected, the Reds will shut down RHP Homer Bailey (flexor mass strain) for the remainder of the season. It's not yet certain whether he'll require surgery. His 2014 ends with a 3.71 ERA (96 ERA+) in 145 2/3 innings. (C. Trent Rosecrans, Cincinnati Enquirer)
- Tigers: 1B Miguel Cabrera, despite a hobbled right ankle, hit two home runs.
- Blue Jays: Outrighted RHP Sergio Santos to Double-A.
- Dodgers: Called up top prospect OF Joc Pederson.
- Mariners: Suspended DH Jesus Montero for the rest of the 2014 season.
- Phillies: Called up top prospect 3B Maikel Franco.
RUMORS & SPECULATION
- Dodgers: Peter Gammons writes that pending free agent Hanley Ramirez, provided the Dodgers don't re-sign him, may be of interest to AL teams who could stow him away at DH on occasion.
- Rockies: Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post writes that the Rockies may see a catching upgrade over Wilin Rosario this offseason.
- Sports & Recreation
- Cole Hamels
- Dave Trembley