What's buzzing:

MLB Roundup: Pedroia, Red Sox agree on $100 million deal

The SportsXchange

Second baseman Dustin Pedroia will remain the face of the Boston Red Sox for the next decade after agreeing to a seven-year, $100 million contract extension.

Pedroia, 29, is poised to become the highest-paid 5-foot-6, 165-pound player in the history of the game.

The new contract is close to the six-year, $100 million pact that Evan Longoria signed with the Rays last season. It could also be the benchmark for pending free agent Robinson Cano, the Yankees' All-Star playing out the final year of his contract. Cano turns 31 in October. He joined Jay-Z's Roc Nation group and general manager Brian Cashman said Cano already has turned down "significant" offers.

Pedroia is in the fourth year of a six-year, $40.5 million deal.

---New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez will not try to work out a settlement with Major League Baseball, according to USA TODAY Sports, one day after Milwaukee Brewers star Ryan Braun was suspended for the rest of the season for taking performance-enhancing drugs.

Rodriguez could be banned for at least 100 games by MLB for his role in the Biogenesis scandal and for hindering the investigation, according to a source, but he would appeal any suspension.

In the USA TODAY Sports story, people close to Rodriguez said that he does not see the Braun case as being similar to his own, but MLB officials are pursuing a stiffer penalty for him because of his past admission that he used steroids.

---Miguel Cabrera's aching left hip kept him out of the Detroit Tigers' lineup Tuesday.

The reigning American League MVP aggravated the hip's flexor muscle while running the bases during Monday's 7-3 win over the Chicago White Sox. He left the game during the fifth inning.

Cabrera entered the day leading Major League Baseball with a .358 batting average and was second in the American League in home runs (31) and RBI (96).

---Embattled Milwaukee Brewers slugger Ryan Braun was pulled Tuesday as an endorser for a convenience store chain, reports say.

Braun, suspended Monday without pay for the rest of the Major League Baseball season for violating its drug program, was the face of a promotion for Kwik Trip. Gary Gonczy, the company's director of marketing and advertising, told ESPN.com that the privately owned brand of more than 400 stores based in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa has stopped all television and radio commercials involving Braun and that the company no longer would use him as a spokesman. The Brewers' star had been linked with the company for four years.

---St. Louis Cardinals right-hander Chris Carpenter put his rehab on hold due to numbness in his right hand, CBS Sports reported Tuesday.

Carpenter started Saturday at Triple-A Memphis, touching 95 mph on the radar gun but allowing nine hits in his second minor league rehab start.

---Pittsburgh Pirates closer Jason Grilli was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right forearm.

Pittsburgh activated second baseman Neil Walker to fill the spot on the 25-man roster. Walker has been sidelined with a strained oblique. He has a .244 batting average with six home runs in 72 games.

Grilli is leading the National League with 30 saves. He has a 2.34 ERA with 66 strikeouts in 42 1/3 innings.

---Right-handed reliever Carlos Marmol joined the Los Angeles Dodgers 25-man roster Tuesday.

Hard-throwing closer-in-waiting Jose Dominguez was optioned to Triple-A to create a spot on the roster.

Marmol, 30, was acquired from the Chicago Cubs and accepted a minor-league assignment with the Dodgers. He joined the team in Toronto and is expected to be used initially in middle relief.

---Starting pitcher Jason Marquis will miss the remainder of the season for the San Diego Padres with ulnar collateral ligament damage in his right elbow and is expected to need Tommy John surgery before his pitches again.

Marquis was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right elbow strain on Sunday.

In a corresponding move, the club recalled right-handed relief pitcher Miles Mikolas from Class AAA Tucson.

---Mark Thomas, a catcher in the Tampa Bay Rays' minor league system, received a 50-game suspension on Tuesday for a second violation of the minor league substance-abuse policy.

Thomas, who players for double-A Montgomery in the Southern Leauge, will begin serving the suspension immediately. The 25-year-old Thomas is batting .151 with four home runs and 23 RBIs in 53 games this season.

Instantly join a new league.

League type:
Free Yahoo League
League size:
10 players
Draft time:
Sep 5 9:00 am
View Comments (4)