LeBron going back to Cavs:

MLB roundup: Indians' Perez charged with drug misdemeanor

The SportsXchange

Cleveland Indians pitcher Chris Perez and his wife, Melanie, were charged with misdemeanor drug abuse Friday, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Because the amount of marijuana found by police only contained 5.8 ounces, the couple was only charged with a fourth-degree misdemeanor.

Chris Perez, 27, and Melanie, 29, were investigated by police after the package containing marijuana was delivered to their rental home in Rocky River, Ohio, earlier this week.

The home was searched after U.S. postal inspectors and members of the Westshore Enforcement Bureau delivered the package on Tuesday.

The couple was released on their own recognizance.

"Clearly we take these matters seriously and are disappointed whenever there is any negative attention brought to the Indians organization or one of our players," general manager Chris Antonelli said in a statement. "We understand and respect that there is an ongoing legal process that we will allow to evolve."

---The Arizona Diamondbacks announced that right-handed pitcher Daniel Hudson re-tore an elbow ligament and are exploring all medical options.

Hudson, 26, initially tore the ligament last July and had Tommy John surgery to repair it. However, he was forced to leave a minor league rehab start with elbow stiffness earlier this week. He will likely require a second Tommy John surgery.

---The Pittsburgh Pirates are expected to call up their top prospect, right-hander Gerrit Cole, to make his major league debut next week, CBS Sports reported.

With left-hander Wandy Rodriguez unlikely to make his next start on Tuesday because of inflammation in his pitching forearm, Cole is likely to get the call against the visiting San Francisco Giants.

He is 5-3 with a 2.91 ERA this season for Class AAA Indianapolis.

---A sexual assault case against former major leaguer Jose Canseco was dropped by Las Vegas police, according to multiple reports.

The case was dropped due to insufficient evidence.

Canseco, 48, announced in May that he was being investigated for sexual assault and offered to take a polygraph test.

He wrote on Twitter Friday that he is selling the results of his polygraph test to the highest bidder.

---Three games were postponed Friday because of rain:

The game between the Miami Marlins and New York Mets at Citi Field will be played as part of a single-admission doubleheader on Sept. 14.

The postponed game between the Los Angeles Angels and Boston Red Sox in Boston will be played Saturday as part of a day-night doubleheader.

The Minnesota Twins and Washington National will make of their rained out game on Sunday in a day-0night doubleheader.

---Chien-Ming Wang opted out of his minor-league contract with the New York Yankees, and he is expected to sign with the Toronto Blue Jays and start for the Jays on Tuesday, FOXSports.com reported Friday.

Wang, 33, had a 2.33 ERA in nine starts at Triple-A this season.

---San Diego Padres first baseman Yonder Alonso was placed on the disabled list on Thursday, and on Friday general manager Josh Byrnes said during a radio interview on 1090-AM that Alonso has a fractured hand.

Byrnes said in the interview that Alonso could miss a month, although the Padres have not released a timetable for his return.

.

---Pitcher Ian Clarkin, a first-round pick of the New York Yankees in the baseball draft on Thursday, apologized for saying that he hated the Yankees, ESPNNewYork.com reported.

"First and foremost, I want to apologize to all the Yankee fans for my comments," Clarkin said Friday.

After Clarkin, an 18-year-old left-hander out of Madison High School in San Diego, was announced as the final pick, No. 33, of the first round, MLB Network showed a video in which he said his top baseball moment growing up was watching the Arizona Diamondbacks beat the Yankees on Luis Gonzalez's game-winning hit off Mariano Rivera in 2001.

"I cannot stand the Yankees, so I was actually in tears I was so happy," Clarkin said on the video.

---Former slugger Frank Thomas said the latest PED scandal is embarrassing for baseball and he criticized current players for being money-driven.

Thomas said he has spoken with several Hall of Famers and they are in agreement that players linked to PEDs should not be in the Hall of Fame.
Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Football
View Comments