The 100-game suspension handed down to Colorado Rockies catcher Eliezer Alfonzo for testing positive for a banned substance last September has been rescinded, Major League Baseball announced Monday, and the reason is nearly identical to the one raised when Ryan Braun's suspension was overturned.
Alfonzo, 33, served a 50-game suspension in 2008 for violating MLB's drug policy. After he was suspended for 100 games for his positive drug test last September, he appealed.
Braun's 50-game suspension had been overturned on appeal because it was determined that protocol was not followed regarding the storage and shipment of the urine sample. Major League Baseball said in its statement that the reason Alfonzo's suspension was rescinded was the same as the one that caused Braun's suspension to be overturned.
"It is not anticipated that any other future cases will be impacted by the circumstances raised in the grievances of these two players," Major League Baseball said in a statement.
Alfonzo has already served 48 games of the suspension - 15 games last year and 33 this season - and Major League Baseball said he is eligible to return to action immediately.
However, the Denver Post reported that his status with the Rockies is uncertain. The team sent him outright to Triple-A Colorado Springs, where he is on the restricted list until he's able to obtain a VISA to travel from Venezuela.
When Alfonzo can report, the Rockies will decide on his status, general manager Dan O'Dowd told the Post.
---Shyam Das, the man who provided the key vote in the landmark ruling that overturned a suspension for 2011 National League MVP Ryan Braun on drug-related issues, was fired last week as baseball's independent arbitrator, USA Today reported Monday.
Das had held his position since 1999. The independent arbitrator is selected by the players' union and Major League Baseball, and either party can terminate the person at any time.
Major League Baseball has not yet announced the dismissal, but USA Today confirmed the move based on anonymous sources.
The players union and MLB must agree on his successor.
---The New York Mets are preparing to make a long-term offer to keep David Wright in Queens, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal that cited "a baseball official briefed on the team's thinking."
Wright, 29, is leading the National League with a .400 batting average and a .489 on-base percentage, and is third in the NL with a 1.080 OPS. The Mets have a $16 million team option on Wright for the 2013 season, but after losing Jose Reyes to the Marlins during free agency last winter, the Mets will be eager to sign Wright to a long-term deal and avoid the necessity of trading him after the 2012 season.
According to the Journal report, no decision has been made on the timing of the offer or the size of the contract, as Mets general manager Sandy Alderson is still in the process of assessing Wright's value.
---Royals pitcher Danny Duffy was placed on the disabled list on Monday with an elbow injury, with Nate Adcock coming up from Triple-A Omaha to take his place.
Duffy has a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow. Duffy is expected to get a second opinion on his elbow from Dr. Lewis Yocum of Los Angeles, although the visit has not yet been scheduled.
Duffy pitched just two-thirds of an inning on Sunday against the White Sox before leaving the game.
In six starts for the Royals this season, the 23-year-old southpaw is 2-2 with a 3.90 ERA and 28 strikeouts.
Adcock, 24, has pitched in three games this season for the Royals, going 0-0 with a 2.89 ERA.
---The San Diego Padres have reinstated pitcher Tim Stauffer from the disabled list, clearing the way for the 29-year old pitcher to make his season debut.
Stauffer began the season on the disabled list after straining his right elbow late in spring training. He made a rehab start last Wednesday with Triple-A Tucson, giving up one run in five innings of work.
He went 9-12 last season with a 3.73 ERA in his first full season as a starter in San Diego.
To clear a spot on the roster for Stauffer, the Padres optioned Josh Spence to Tucson.