MSU Football released its first depth chart for the regular season, with a couple changes.
Mark Dantonio's first press conference of the regular season is today, and prior to each press conference he issues a depth chart. The first depth chart of the season can be viewed at this link. My thoughts:
- I omitted A.J. Troup from the wide receiver preview, thinking he would see little time at the position during the season. As it turns out, he's moved up to be Tony Lippett's backup at the "X" receiver position. That's my fault, I'll add Troup to the WR preview.
- True freshman Brian Allen is backing up his brother Jack Allen at center.
- Lawrence Thomas is finally a starter. He'll work at defensive tackle, filling the hole left by Damon Knox's injury.
- It definitely looks like no redshirt for Malik McDowell, as he's the backup to Lawrence Thomas.
- At under 200 pounds Mylan Hicks may be a bit undersized for a linebacker, but he's the costarter along with Damien Harris at the "STAR" linebacking position. A former cornerback, Hicks will definitely be beneficial when the opposing offense lines up in 3+ WR sets.
- Lastly, kick and punt returners have been determined for the first week. Keeping the status quo from the end of last season, R.J. Shelton and Nick Hill are your kick returners, and Macgarrett Kings Jr. is your punt returner.
More from sbnation.com:
- Michigan State Football 2014 Position Preview: Defensive Ends
- Linking Laconically is done camping
- Linking Laconically is preparing
- Michigan State Football 2014 Position Preview: Running Backs
- Michigan State Football 2014 Position Preview: Cornerbacks
- Michigan State Football 2014 Position Preview: Wide Receivers