Your Thursday morning dose of New York Mets and Major League Baseball news, notes and links.
Meet the Mets
The Mets lost to the Braves last night even though they had opportunities to at least tie the game in both the eighth and ninth innings. Ruben Tejada made a crucial error, and Andrelton Simmons made an outstanding play to save a run. At least Zack Wheeler was pretty good.
With shortstop still a problem for the Mets, could Matt Reynolds, who had a tough year in St. Lucie in 2013 but has broken out between Binghamton and Las Vegas this year, be the answer at the position?
Around the National League East
Around Major League Baseball
The Tigers have possibly lost Anibal Sanchez for the rest of the season, while Justin Verlander and Miguel Cabrera have been struggling in the midst of a pennant race. But Grant Brisbee contends that they still might be okay.
Baseball has a number of unwritten rules, but how well do you know the written ones?
Yesterday at AA
Travis d'Arnaud has struggled with blocking pitches, but should the team be concerned?
The list of teams interested in Bartolo Colon appears to be shrinking.
Which free agent shortstops can be had by the Mets this winter?
We take a look back at the previous week in Mets quotes.
Finally, Sean Cunningham dives into the age-old question: should you root for a team to tank for draft picks?
More from sbnation.com:
- Are we finally seeing the real Travis d'Arnaud?
- Mets trade rumors: Bartolo Colon drawing interest from Dodgers, Angels, and Royals
- Mets Daily Prospect Report, 8/26/14: Running down the season that was
- Mets Morning News: Time to say bye-bye to Bart? D-Wright to be d-ropped in lineup?
- Lamar Johnson: David Wright's shoulder is to blame for his struggles
- Mets trade rumors: Bartolo Colon clears waivers