A largely forgotten man amid the drama of Courtois vs. Cech and the forever young Mark Schwarzer lurking in the background as well was the 22-year-old Croatian Matej Delac, who, somewhat surprisingly, was signed to a new contract extension earlier this summer and then rewarded with a spot on the Chelsea summer tour of Europe. But with Croatian nationals still restricted as far as work permits go, Delac was always going to have to head out on loan for at least one more year. And so:
Matej Delac has joined French Ligue 2 team Arles-Avignon on loan: http://t.co/U2zpUDZub7 #CFC #loanwatch (thanks to @OllyDay94).— Chelsea Youth (@chelseayouth) September 1, 2014
Not exactly the most glamorous of destinations* for Delac, especially after being involved at the top level in Serbia and Bosnia last season. Though presumably he'll get plenty of playing time.
Delac is the second somewhat high profile player to join the club this weekend after the arrival of veteran Mamadou Niang on Friday. Without a win from the first five games (though only one defeat), Arles sit just 17th in Ligue 2
* In terms of the football; Avignon and the surrounding area is absolutely gorgeous.
More from sbnation.com:
- Fernando Torres 'set records' in AC Milan medical
- Who got the better deal, Chelsea with Loic Remy or Manchester United with Falcao?
- Manchester United agree Falcao loan -- should Chelsea have been involved?
- Man of the Match, complete striker Diego Costa leads Chelsea to memorable win at Goodison
- Cesc Fabregas admits playing through pain for 8 months
- Salah not leaving Chelsea today, according to reports