Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:

Martinez still Marlins' hitting coach -- for now

The SportsXchange

Florida Marlins hitting coach Tino Martinez tried to resign after being accused of grabbing a player by his neck and neck chain, but team owner Jeffrey Loria nixed the idea, for now.

The agent for rookie second baseman Derek Dietrich contacted Marlins officials about the alleged incident, which supposedly occurred a few months ago, according to the Miami Herald. Dietrich was demoted to the minors last week.

"I'd rather not address it," said David Meter, Dietrich's agent. "I think it's a team issue."

Martinez is accused of being verbally abusive to players dating to the start of spring training. Some players have complained to manager Mike Redmond.

Redmond and Martinez presumably have met with Marlins officials to discuss the allegations.

The Major League Baseball Players' Association has been notified, as has the Commissioner's office, which is expected to contact the Marlins on Tuesday to see how the team is handling the allegations, the Herald said.

Other players who might have been the target of suspected verbal abuse include Justin Ruggiano, Chris Valaika and Matt Downs.

The 45-year-old Martinez was a two-time All-Star who played 16 seasons and collected more than 1,900 hits. He was hand-picked by Loria to be the Marlins' hitting coach.
Sign up for Yahoo Fantasy Football
View Comments (5)