The Miami Marlins
placed catcher Miguel Olivo
on the restricted list Saturday after he left the team.
Olivo exited after batting practice Friday as the Marlins were preparing to play the St. Louis Cardinals
Olivo told the Miami Herald that he is unhappy with his playing time.
"I told them I wanted to be released and they wouldn't give it to me," he said. "I don't understand why they don't release me. I told them I wanted to be released because I have 30 days of not playing. I need to play."
Manager Mike Redmond said that Olivo should have waited until after the game to walk out since the team is shorthanded.
Olivo is batting .203 with four home runs in 33 games. He became the No. 3 catcher when Jeff Mathis was activated from the disabled list on May 14. Since then, Olivo has only had 15 at-bats.
The club recalled outfielder Jordan Brown from Class AAA New Orleans to take Olivo's spot on the roster.
- Sports & Recreation
- Miguel Olivo
- Miami Marlins