A revised strategy, perhaps, for the new, improved, and non-violent Diaz?
Between Anderson Silva's pantomiming and Nick Diaz's shit talking, we could have ourselves a two-man comedy act for the main event of UFC 183, which takes place on Jan. 31, 2014 inside MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
But Ed Soares, Silva's manager, doesn't expect it to come to that.
Probably because Diaz respects "The Spider" and anticipates a difficult challenge in their "Sin City" showdown. Sure, Silva still doesn't know how to throw a punch, but hey, anything can happen in mixed martial arts (MMA).
Soares elaborates to Submission Radio:
"I think he's prepared to deal with that, but I honestly believe that Nick Diaz is going to take a different approach. I don't think Nick Diaz has anything personal against Anderson Silva. I think Nick Diaz looks at Anderson Silva as a true, real martial art challenge and he believes he's got what it takes to be able to fight him. Most of the time Nick Diaz doesn't start off with the trash talking. It's normally somebody else that starts off with the trash talking and he kinda finishes it off. But Nick Diaz overall, I don't see him much as a guy that starts off talking trash."
Diaz? No trash talk? I'll have to see it to believe it.
On paper, Diaz (26-9, 1 NC) would appear to be at a disadvantage, moving up from the welterweight division. The counter to that, however, is that we still don't know what kind of fighter Silva (33-6) will be following his broken leg, which benched him for over a year.
I'm willing to fork over $60 to find out ... how about you?
More from sbnation.com:
- Michael Bisping vs. Cung Le full fight video highlights from UFC Fight Night 48: Macau
- Pic: Cung Le's Face Is Destroyed After Four Rounds Against Michael Bisping
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Ben Henderson knockout video shows controversial stoppage at UFC Fight Night 49
- UFC Fight Night 48 results: Michael Bisping stops Cung Le
- UFC Fight Night 48, 49 results recap: Biggest winners, losers from doubleheader weekend in Macau, Tulsa
- UFC Fight Night 49 results: Rafael dos Anjos knocks out Ben Henderson
- Martial Arts
- Sports & Recreation
- Anderson Silva
- Nick Diaz