The following is a list of the Week 8 leaders in looks and touches. It defines those running backs and receivers who received the most attention this past weekend.
Touches is defined as the number of times a running back carried or caught the football.
Looks is defined as the number of times a player was the intended target of a pass.
• It's the pain and the pleasure of being a Brian Westbrook owner. You had no idea how well he'd perform after missing two of the past three weeks due to broken ribs, so naturally he goes for a career-high in rushing yards (167) on 22 carries, scored twice, and added six catches for 42 yards. Westbrook's eight TDs in just five games are second among running backs (LenDale White, 10).
• Dominic Rhodes had as good a game as was to be expected against the stout Titans defense (25 touches, 109 yards), with his involvement in the receiving game (8 catches, 39 yards) buoying the overall numbers. Rhodes now has 19 catches in seven games, while Joseph Addai has just five in five games.
• Despite sharing touches with LenDale White, Chris Johnson continues to be utilized and produce better than most every down backs. His Week 8 line (23 touches, 96 yards, 1 TD) now has him eighth in the league in touches (140 - 122 carries, 18 catches) and fifth in total yards (718 - 626 rushing, 92 receiving).
• The platoon watch notes when a team's RB2 is given at least half as many touches as the RB1, regardless of the reason. Platoon watch for Week 8 included: Arizona (Tim Hightower 8, Edgerrin James 7), Atlanta (Michael Turner 17, Jerious Norwood 9), Buffalo (Marshawn Lynch 18, Fred Jackson 11), Detroit (Kevin Smith 11, Rudi Johnson 9), Houston (Steve Slaton 17, Ahman Green 10), Jacksonville (Maurice Jones-Drew 15, Fred Taylor 8), Miami (Ronnie Brown 15, Ricky Williams 9), New England (Kevin Faulk 17, BenJarvus Green-Ellis 9), NY Giants (Brandon Jacobs 19, Derrick Ward 18), Oakland (Justin Fargas 12, Michael Bush 6), and Seattle (Maurice Morris 11, Julius Jones 8, T.J. Duckett 8, Leonard Weaver 6).
• Yards-per-touch leaders for Week 8 (minimum 10 touches) included: Ray Rice (9.18, 11 for 101), Brian Westbrook (7.46, 28 for 209), and LaDainian Tomlinson (7.08, 24 for 170). The bottom three: LenDale White (1.27, 11 for 14), Maurice Morris (1.45, 11 for 16), and Justin Fargas (2.0, 12 for 24).
• Matt Jones became the eighth different player to lead the league in looks in a given week, garnering a career-high 16, which resulted in season highs in catches (8) and yards (117) and his second TD of the season. It may come as a surprise to some, but Jones currently ranks 11th in the league in looks (63) and has been targeted less than six times in a single game just once (Week 3).
• Anquan Boldin's return didn't set back the cause for Steve Breaston, who saw a team- and season-high 14 looks (9 catches, 91 yards, 0 TD). There was plenty to go around, as Kurt Warner totaled 49 pass attempts – Boldin was targeted 12 times in his return (9 catches, 63 yards, 2 TD) and Larry Fitzgerald saw 11 looks (7 catches, 115 yards, 0 TD).
• Can you name the Rams receiver that has averaged seven looks, five catches and 100 yards over the past three weeks, while scoring twice? It's not Torry Holt, it's Donnie Avery. While Avery has put together those numbers, Holt has averaged eight looks, four catches and 34 yards, while failing to catch a TD pass.
• Top 10 players in catch percentage (minimum 4 looks per game): Brian Westbrook (87%, 20/23), Matt Forte (85%, 29/34), Ike Hilliard (84%, 27/32), Bo Scaife (80%, 28/35), Marion Barber (84%, 32/38), Marshawn Lynch (80%, 24/30), Kevin Faulk (80%, 20/25), Josh Reed (79%, 26/33), Chris Cooley (77%, 40/52) and Anquan Boldin (77%, 36/47).
• Bottom 10 players in catch percentage (minimum 4 looks per game): Ashley Lelie (21%, 7/33), Justin McCareins (32%, 11/34), Marty Booker (38%, 11/29), Billy McMullen (39%, 7/18), Braylon Edwards (40%, 22/55), Bobby Engram (43%, 19/44), Roy Williams (43%, 19/44), Shaun McDonald (43%, 16/37), L.J. Smith (44%, 12/27) and Marcedes Lewis (45%, 13/29).
Note: Looks data provided by FFToday.com
Note: Looks data provided by FFToday.com