Leshoure's time in Detroit comes to an end after an up-and-down few years. He began his career by blowing out his Achilles in training camp, but he came back a year later and ran for 798 yards and nine touchdowns in 14 games.
Last year, however, Leshoure was active for only three games, and he didn't do much in this year's preseason. It's no surprise that he is being released, but it's yet another disappointing development for the Lions' awful 2011 draft class, which is now down to only Nick Fairley.
The Lions will continue making roster cuts throughout Saturday as they trim their roster down from 75 to 53 players. As of right now, they're at 74 players as far as we know, but chances are several other cuts have already been made.
More from sbnation.com:
- Lions roster cuts tracker: Getting down to 53 players
- Lions roster cuts: Live updates on Detroit's latest moves
- Lions 53-man roster prediction
- Has Kellen Moore done enough to win a roster spot?
- Winners & losers from Lions' preseason finale
- Lions restructure Glover Quin's contract, according to report
- Sports & Recreation
- Mikel Leshoure
- Detroit Lions