In case you needed another example of why the preseason is too long, allow me to present the Detroit Lions' list of "inactives" for Thursday night's game against the Buffalo Bills (via Tim Twentyman):
Clearly, the Lions are being extra careful by not even risking injuries with many of their starters. That's the right move in my book, even if it makes Thursday's preseason finale even more meaningless than it already was.
With the Lions ruling out so many starters, the following players are in the starting lineup against Buffalo (again, via Twentyman): Dan Orlovsky (QB), Theo Riddick (RB), Kevin Ogletree (WR), Kris Durham (WR), Joseph Fauria (TE), Garrett Reynolds (LG), Travis Swanson (C), Devin Taylor (DE), Nick Fairley (DT), Tahir Whitehead (OLB), Bill Bentley (CB) and Isa Abdul-Quddus (S).
If nothing else, Thursday's game will provide an outstanding opportunity to many of the players who are fighting for a roster spot. With many starters taking the night off, the backups will get more of a chance to play, and several guys could be earning a spot on the 53-man roster on Thursday night in Buffalo.
More from sbnation.com:
- Lions at Bills: Five questions with Buffalo Rumblings
- 10 things to watch in Lions' preseason finale at Bills
- Lions notes: Matthew Stafford hits the cover of Sports Illustrated
- Lions at Bills preseason: Game time, TV schedule, online streaming and more
- A look at Martin Mayhew's Lions draft picks
- Lions trade rumors: Detroit 'looking to bolster' secondary
- Sports & Recreation
- Buffalo Bills
- Detroit Lions
- Matthew Stafford