Today's lessons include the continuation of the losing streak, more September callups, and power rankings.
Cubs 4, Brewers 2
The slump continued yesterday for the Brewers, and this time, it threw them out of first place. Jimmy Nelson did his best to keep the team in the game, and did for the most part with a quality start. However, the offense was still quiet, managing only seven hits and a walk while striking out twelve times. Back-to-back home runs by Khris Davis and Gerardo Parra gave some hope, but it wasn't enough.
Reading from BCB
- Carlos Gomez could miss multiple days following his wrist injury.
- It's been easy to be negative lately, but Noah mentions that it's more fun to be a fan when you have a positive outlook.
- ESPN.com only put the Brewers down one spot at #8.
- Jonah Keri of Grantland dropped the Brewers to #10.
- MLB.com has the Brewers at #11.
- FOX Sports put the Brewers at #11, down three spots.
- SI.com had the biggest drop of the Brewers, placing them down five spots at #12.
- The Brewer Nation blog has heard who will be in the next round of callups: Jason Rogers, Hector Gomez, and Matt Clark. They have the details on the moves here.
- Jess Lemont of The Brewers Bar has an idea about how the Brewers can win the NL Central.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||77-67||Nashville 13, Round Rock 6||END OF SEASON|
|Huntsville Stars||AA||77-63||Mississippi 2, Huntsville 1||END OF REGULAR SEASON|
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||72-67||Beloit 11, Wisconsin 5||END OF REGULAR SEASON|
|Helena Brewers||R||26-47||Helena 3, Missoula 2||Missoula @ Helena|
News & Notes
- In the regular season finale for Wisconsin, Clint Coulter hit two home runs to tie the Timber Rattler's franchise record.
- Cardinals 5, Pirates 4
- Reds had the day off.
Today's Division Games
- Pirates (Jeff Locke) @ Cardinals (Adam Wainwright) - 7:15 pm
- Reds (Mat Latos) @ Orioles (Bud Norris) - 6:05 pm
The Brewers continue to try to end this losing streak tonight against the Cubs. Yovani Gallardo tries to get things back on track, and will face Jake Arrieta. First pitch is at 7:05 pm, and Adam Lichtenstein of MLB.com has the preview.
More from sbnation.com:
- Brewers prospect Nathan Orf plays all nine positions in Brevard County finale
- Brewers 5, Giants 15: Thanks for nothing, west coast
- Brewers acquire Jonathan Broxton from Reds
- What we learned: September 1, 2014
- The Brewers are not entirely totally doomed after 2014
- Brewers claimed Justin Morneau on waivers, could not agree to trade with Rockies
- Sports & Recreation