Today's lessons include Lucroy for MVP, bullpen life, and some reflections.
The Brewers had the day off.
- The Brewers games against interleague teams finished on Wednesday, and Noah notes that the Brewers went 11-9 in interleague play this year.
Jonathan Lucroy for MVP
- Jonathan Lucroy will get attention in the NL MVP vote this year. One of the parts of his game, his pitch framing, gets a lot of attention, but Dave Cameron wonders how much that should really play into the NL MVP vote.
- Meanwhile, on Brewers.com, Adam McCalvy puts together the full case for Jonathan Lucroy for NL MVP.
- Matt Garza may not be an ace, but his deal is looking like a good one for the Brewers. Nick Michalski of The Brewers Bar looks at his deal and similar deals that starting pitchers received this offseason.
- Life in the bullpen can be stressful. The pitchers there have their own practices to manage it, and Michael Hunt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel looks at how these players handle the stress.
- Mike Fiers has been pitching for his role in the Brewers rotation both this season and next. Genaro C. Armas of the Associated Press analyzes the impact that Fiers has had for the Brewers.
- Tom Gorzelanny has some advice for Jim Henderson after his surgery: Be patient.
- Steven Jewell of Reviewing the Brew has a profile on Wily Peralta.
- David S. Grant of Reviewing the Brew predicts how the remaining schedule will play out for the Brewers.
- When Hank the Ballpark Pup became a part of the Brewers, you knew this day was coming. Yesterday, Hank finally met his namesake, Hank Aaron.
- Tim Dillard posted some reflections on his baseball career on Next Level Ballplayer.
Minor League Update
|Nashville Sounds||AAA||72-60||Fresno 8, Nashville 4
Nashville 7, Fresno 0
Fri: Fresno @ Nashville
Sat: Fresno @ Nashville
Sun: Sacramento @ Nashville
|Huntsville Stars||AA||74-56||Jackson 3, Huntsville 2||
Fri: Huntsville @ Mobile
Sat: Huntsville @ Mobile
Sun: Huntsville @ Mobile
|Brevard County Manatees||A+||65-59||Tampa 10, Brevard County 6||
Fri: Brevard County @ Clearwater (DH)
Sat: Brevard County @ Clearwater
Sun: Brevard County @ Clearwater
|Wisconsin Timber Rattlers||A||67-61||Peoria 3, Wisconsin 1||
Fri: Wisconsin @ Peoria
Sat: Wisconsin @ Peoria
Sun: Beloit @ Wisconsin
|DSL Brewers||R||27-43||DSL Blue Jays 4, DSL Brewers 3||
Fri: DSL Braves @ DSL Brewers
Sat: DSL Brewers @ DSL Braves
|Helena Brewers||R||22-39||Great Falls 2, Helena 0||
Fri: Great Falls @ Helena
Sat: Great Falls @ Helena
Sun: Billings @ Helena
|AZL Brewers||R||20-28||AZL Brewers @ AZL Indians (PPD)||
Fri: AZL Brewers @ AZL Cubs
Sat: AZL Cubs @ AZL Brewers
News & Notes
- The list of Brewers players that will play in the Arizona Fall League is starting to take shape. Yesterday, Nick Ramirez of Huntsville tweeted that he will play in the league.
- Michael Trzinski of Reviewing the Brew continues to look at the best teams in Brewers farm history with the 1986 El Paso Diablos.
- After a rough start following his promotion to Nashville, Taylor Jungmann has become a very solid pitcher for the Sounds. Teddy Cahill of MLB.com notes that Jungmann won his fourth straight decisionwith six scoreless innings on Thursday.
This Weekend's Division Games
- Cardinals @ Phillies
Friday: Adam Wainwright vs. Kyle Kendrick - 6:05 pm
Saturday: Shelby Miller vs. David Buchanan - 6:05 pm
Sunday: Justin Masterson vs. Jerome Williams - 12:35 pm
- Braves @ Reds
Friday: Mike Minor vs. Mat Latos - 6:10 pm
Saturday: Ervin Santana vs. Mike Leake - 6:10 pm
Sunday: Aaron Harang vs. Alfredo Simon - 12:10 pm
- Orioles @ Cubs
Friday: Kevin Gausman vs. Jake Arrieta - 1:20 pm
Saturday: Bud Norris vs. Kyle Hendricks - 1:20 pm
Sunday: Miguel Gonzalez vs. Tsuyoshi Wada - 1:20 pm
This Weekend's Action
The Brewers and Pirates face off in a three-game series over the weekend. Here are the starting pitcher matchups:
Friday: Jeff Locke vs. Yovani Gallardo - 7:10 pm
Saturday: Edinson Volquez vs. Wily Peralta - 6:10 pm
Sunday: Vance Worley vs. Mike Fiers - 1:10 pm
More from sbnation.com:
- What we learned: August 21, 2014
- Brewers injury updates: Matt Garza and Kyle Lohse have time frame for returns
- What we learned: August 20, 2014
- Game Thread #127: Brewers (71-55) vs Blue Jays (64-62)
- Division rivals are getting healthy again, how does it affect the Brewers
- Brewers' prospect Nick Ramirez will play in Arizona Fall League
- Sports & Recreation
- Jonathan Lucroy