In the big picture, Lawrence Vickers is fortunate he didn’t require medical attention for a more serious injury.
The Dallas Cowboys fullback was escorted to the locker room by an athletic trainer about midway through an offseason practice on Wednesday. He was slumped over with his right hand at his waist. It wasn’t the kind of ailment you hear about very often.Fire ants got in my pants,” Vickers said, according to the Dallas Morning News. “I was freaking out. Oh, ants!”
Vickers felt a stinging sensation below the belt and needed attention. He discovered earlier this year that he is allergic to fire ants after being stung on his neck. It resulted in swelling and difficulty breathing. So, this was no small matter.
“I was trying not to squeeze myself in front of women out there,” Vickers said. “I wanted to pull my pants down and run inside, but I couldn't do that. When those ants get close to those testicles, there ain't no laughing about that.”
That certainly is no laughing matter.
Follow me on Twitter: @BradBiggs
Brad Biggs covers the Bears for the Chicago Tribune
- Lawrence Vickers