Well, this isn't fun.
Kyrie Irving was hurt in the closing seconds of another Team USA blowout victory Thursday afternoon. The extent of the injury is unknown, and it isn't a knee issue, but we will keep you updated. It looks like a pretty rough fall, with the .gif courtesy of Ben Golliver of Sports Illustrated:
:It's a weird situation. Before the tournament, before Kyrie even made the team, it seemed that perhaps a lot of Irving's playing time would come after the fates of these games had already been decided. But a few things have happened. John Wall and Damian Lillard failed to make the team, and Derrick Rose has been largely ineffective. Irving's minutes have thus been a bit higher than we might have expected. And it's even to the point where it's fair to wonder what Irving was doing out there at that point anyway.
Hopefully it's just a bruise. We will update this post as more information becomes available.
More from sbnation.com:
- NBA Free Agency: LeBron James will seek a maximum contract this summer
- Farewell, Fear the Sword
- NBA rumors: Cavaliers reportedly heading to New Jersey to offer Kyrie Irving maximum contract extension
- NBA Offseason: Selection of Andrew Wiggins shows Cavaliers will value fit in free agency
- NBA Free Agency: Exploring the Cleveland Cavaliers salary cap situation
- Fear the Sword announces new staffing changes