Konerko could miss a few more days with wrist injury

The Sports Xchange
The SportsXchange


Life without Paul Konerko is never an easy one for the White Sox, evident in consecutive losses to Toronto the past two days their team captain sidelined.
Before Wednesday's 4-0 loss, word emerged that the team likely would be missing Konerko for at least two more games, with the hope that he can play Saturday. Konerko underwent a procedure Tuesday on his left wrist to flush out a bone chip.
When Konerko missed Tuesday's game, manager Robin Ventura made it seem as if he were giving the veteran an extended rest. However, Konerko subsequently admitted he had the wrist procedure, the same one he had in 2011.
"Last year, when we had it done, it was almost to the day," Konerko said. "It was June 3 last year, and (Tuesday) was June 5. It was good the rest of the year. It just hung out and never got in there again. That's what we're hoping here."
Konerko did say that the area was pretty sore Wednesday, and he thought that the chip had moved into a painful place Monday.
There will be a surgery done on the wrist in the offseason, but his hope is that the joint responds as it did last season.
"We felt pretty confident (Tuesday) that it was out," Konerko said. "We could see it, and I could feel that it wasn't restricting me anymore, but now all the soreness comes from going in there like that. It's just a matter of getting the soreness out."
With Konerko out, Tyler Flowers started the game at first base, while Dayan Viciedo hit in Konerko's cleanup spot for the second consecutive game. Considering the Sox only had two hits on the night, obviously the hope is their leading hitter returns sooner rather than later.