Here are the June reliever rankings. As always, players are ranked based on how I believe they will perform in 5x5 scoring over the rest of the season. Included along with the position rankings you'll find a fully updated top 300 list.
Relief pitcher Rankings
Dropping off: J.J. Putz (19th), Joel Hanrahan (27th), Kyuji Fujikawa (38th), Al Alburquerque (40th), Kelvin Herrera (42nd), Santiago Casilla (45th), Carlos Marmol (53rd), Aaron Crow (57th), Sean Marshall (60th)
- One way the Dodgers are blowing it: League has worked fewer innings than anyone in the team's pen over the last month. He pitched just nine times in May. This is a guy who is used to throwing 70+ innings per season, but since the Dodgers haven't had many late leads, he's on pace for 60 right now. Sure, the Dodgers need more consistency from League, but the best way to help him find it would be to let him pitch more than once every three or four days.
- Perez could rejoin the Indians next week, so he ranks highest of the injured closers. It's encouraging that Pestano's velocity is creeping back up as he fills in for Perez, but it's not at all likely that he'll steal away Perez's job.
- Gregerson is the favorite for saves in the San Diego pen while Street nurses a calf strain for the next couple of weeks. Street's stuff has been flat anyway, so the break should help him out.
- Brothers ranks highest of the stopgap closers. Most likely, Betancourt, who was placed on the DL with a groin strain, will reclaim closing duties later this month. However, if he has any sort of setback, it might open the door for Brothers to run away with the gig.
- Valverde remains the Tigers' closer of the present, but I'm skeptical that's going to last. I have Benoit in front of him now, though I don't believe Benoit will end up leading the Tigers in saves this year. It might yet be Rondon. He's allowed one run and posted a 16/5 K/BB ratio in 13 innings since returning to Triple-A.
|6||Addison Reed||White Sox||10||9|
|18||Casey Janssen||Blue Jays||25||21|
|19||Andrew Bailey||Red Sox||63||29|
|41||Junichi Tazawa||Red Sox||54||47|
|50||Koji Uehara||Red Sox||59||52|
|55||Jesse Crain||White Sox||101||NR|