New York Jets linebacker Bart Scott became the latest player to draw the line in the concussion controversy. Scott said he will not allow his 7-year-old son B.J. to play football, the New York Daily News reported Saturday. "I don't want my son to play football," Scott said. "I play football so he won't have to. With what is going on, I don't know if it's really worth it." Since the suicide last month of Pro Bowler Junior Seau and the large-scale lawsuits by former players against NFL over brain injuries, head injuries have been a hot topic in the NFL. Super Bowl-winning quarterback Kurt Warner said he wouldn't let his children play football, and he was denounced by many of his peers. That didn't stop Scott, a 10-year veteran, from taking a similar stance as Warner. "I don't want to have to deal with him getting a concussion and what it would be like later in life," he said. "He can play baseball. I really don't want him boxing, either, even though he wants to box. I won't let him box. It's not worth it. "The most important thing for me is him being around and me being able to spend a long time with him and I'm sure, at the end of the day, all the things I'm able to buy him from playing football, he'd much rather have me." Scott, who is in the third year of a six-year $48 million contract, said he doesn't think he has had any concussions. But he's not sure. "Not that I know of, but I'm sure I probably have some damage. I play linebacker," he said. "Was it diagnosed as a concussion? Did I say anything about it? I don't know."
- Bart Scott
- New York Jets