The Chiefs starting left guard will be the starting right tackle against the Vikings.
Things are getting interesting with the KC Chiefs offensive line. With starting right tackle Donald Stephenson facing a 4-game suspension to start the season, the Chiefs are starting Jeff Allen at right tackle against the Vikings in the third preseason game. Jeff Linkenbach will start in Allen's spot at left guard, the Chiefs announced.
This is interesting because Allen has been the Chiefs starting left guard for the last two seasons. He has practiced a little bit at tackle during training camp and did play tackle in college but he is the starting left guard. Andy Reid repeatedly has said the Chiefs will go with "the best five" along the offensive line and it doesn't matter where they play. Moving Allen to tackle would reinforce that (about Eric Fisher though...).
Stephenson can play in this game. I'm not sure if he will. His suspension doesn't kick in until the week of the Chiefs first regular season game. Now the Chiefs priorities have changed so perhaps Stephenson doesn't see much time in this game.
Other lineup changes include:
- WR Frankie Hammond for Dwayne Bowe;
- DE Jaye Howard for Mike DeVito;
- LB Nico Johnson for Joe Mays;
- CB Sean Smith for Ron Parker;
- S Daniel Sorensen for Eric Berry
More from sbnation.com:
- Donald Stephenson has been suspended 4 games
- Chiefs are cutting 15 players by Tuesday
- Jamaal Charles, D-Bowe won't play vs. Vikings
- How to watch, stream, listen to Chiefs-Vikings game
- Chiefs LB Joe Mays is having wrist surgery
- Bob Sutton's science lab
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- Donald Stephenson
- Jeff Linkenbach
- Jeff Allen