One minute you're up half a million in soybeans and the next, boom, your kids don't go to college and they've repossessed your Bentley.
It's late August, but there is an absurd amount of New York Islanders-related reading to tickle your fancy. Get to it.
- Garik16 steers from a comment on one of his recent LHH posts to answer if there's a difference between Josh Bailey and Colin McDonald. (Hint: Yes.) [Islanders Analytics]
- NDRE looked at (and charted) the Corsi of Islanders forwards over the past four seasons. [LHH]
- I've a feeling our readers will have opinions on this: Shannon Hogan will succeed Peter Ruttgaizer on MSG Isles coverage.
Initial reaction redacted. Second reaction also redacted. What I want to know is, how does Hogan feel to be back in the prairies of Canada? [Newsday]
- Jack Todd is a fairly oldish boomer with a long history writing about hockey, so you might be surprised that his impression of Joshua Ho-Sang is quite progressive and not old-stodgy-columnist at all. [Montreal Gazette]
- Brock Nelson deserves a shot on the Isles' top line. [IPB]
- BREAKING: The Islanders core revolves around John Tavares. [CBS]
- BREAKING, II: New owners in a building they don't own doesn't mean the Islanders will suddenly be a cap team. [Hockey Independent]
- BREAKING, III: Evidently Clark Gillies, Bobby Nystrom and Billy Smith were important to Islanders history, so they will be honored with special nights during the last year of the Coliseum. Not sure why the giveaway trinket has a helmet in Gillies' locker. [Islanders Insight]
- SNARKY TAG OTHER THAN "BREAKING": Andrew MacDonald not only must put up with Flyers fans, now he's apparently supposed to replace Kimmo Timonen. No sweat. [CSN Philly]
- If you missed it yesterday, relive the Corey Perry goal against the sleepwalking Islanders, with commentary from Dan, Mark, and fellows from Anaheim Calling. [SB Nation]
- A review of Devils passing against their Metro rivals last year says the Isles forwards did alright and their defense didn't. [ILWT]
Beyond the Island
- Actual NHL news! Craig Anderson signs an extension averaging $4.2 million per with Ottawa. That's a few hundred grand less than the Isles will pay Jaroslav Halak, who is several years younger and almost certainly better. [Silver Seven]
- After a remarkable eight years under the tyranny of the original RBK template, the Blues will again wear hockey jerseys instead of tombstone-shaped pinstripe monstrosities. [Blues photos]
- More on the coming of a Jamaican Olympic hockey team. [Color of Hockey]
- Neat story about an NHLer I never knew of, Mitch Wilson, who suffers from ALS. [CBC]
- Is the Tory Krug RFA stalemate basically dictated by the Bruins' cap situation? And thus, other RFA defensemen are indirectly held hostage by the Bruins' cap? [Driving Play]
- Rich Clune is active on the social media and records a long call with someone who chirped or insulted him on
high schoolTwitter. [On The Forecheck]
- Not hockey but maybe: If you enjoy Jon Bois, here's a quickie of infographics based on his extensive research into what, exactly, makes Las Vegas tick. [SB Nation] Aside: Read an article yesterday about a guy going to jail for cheating casinos. What a country, where "cheating" a casino is a crime. (Casinos, basically: "Hey, you can't do that to us! Only WE can do that to our pledges!")
More from sbnation.com:
- New York Islanders 2014-15: An 'Abstract' Preview
- [Bits] Islanders Party, Culture Shock, Summer Grabs, Kids Tournament
- Challenge Accepted. Rivals Doused.
- Islanders finally unveil final patch for final season at Nassau Coliseum
- Howie Rose's talk of the New York Islanders sale, Coliseum, history, and new season will fire you up