Oct 29 (Reuters) - Brief profiles of the entrants for the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic to be run over 1 1/4 miles at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, California on Saturday (Post Position. HORSE; Jockey; Trainer; odds)
1. LAST GUNFIGHTER; Javier Castellano; Chad Brown; 20-1; A four-year colt who has won seven of 13 career starts, including four from six this season. Castellano won the 2004 Breeders' Cup Classic on Ghostzapper.
2. PAYNTER; Martin Garcia; Bob Baffert; 12-1; Finished runner-up in last year's Belmont Stakes and has won one from four this season. The Breeders' Cup Classic remains one of the few major North American races to have eluded Hall of Fame trainer Baffert.
3. PLANTEUR; Ryan Moore; Marco Botti; 20-1; European galloper who is having his first start in North America. Finished third in Dubai World Cup each of the past two years. Moore won this year's English Derby on board Ruler of the World.
4. MORENO; Joseph Talamo; Eric Guillot; 15-1; A three-year-old who has won twice this season after breaking his maiden status in his 10th outing. In his most recent race, he finished second in the Pennsylvania Derby. Talamo's biggest win to date was the Breeders' Cup Turf Sprint in 2009.
5. DECLARATION OF WAR; Joseph O'Brien; Aidan O'Brien; 10-1; Irish trained runner who has won seven of 12 career starts, including his last race, in England in August. One of the world's top trainers, O'Brien has won seven Breeders' Cup races, but not the Classic.
6. MUCHO MACHO MAN; Gary Stevens; Kathy Ritvo; 5-1; Finished third in the 2011 Kentucky Derby and was a close runner-up in last year's Breeders' Cup Classic. Trainer Ritvo is a heart transplant recipient while Stevens is a legendary jockey who came out of retirement this year, aged 50, and won the Preakness Stakes on Oxbow.
7. FORT LARNED; Brian Hernandez Jr; Ian Wilkes; 6-1; Last year's winning combination bidding to join Tiznow as the only duel winners of the race. Fort Larned has won twice this year for his Australian-born trainer Wilkes.
8. PALACE MALICE; John Velazquez; Todd Pletcher; 10-1; This year's Belmont Stakes winner. Velazquez has won 10 Breeders' Cup races and Pletcher seven but neither has won the Classic.
9. GAME ON DUDE; Mike Smith; Bob Baffert 8-5; The bookmakers' favourite to win. Finished seventh last year after starting as the popular pick but is unbeaten in five starts this year. Smith has already won the Breeders' Cup Classic three times, on Skip Away (1997), Zenyatta (2009) and Drosselmeyer (2011).
10. WILL TAKE CHARGE; Luis Saez; D. Wayne Lukas; 12-1; Three-year-old who has won four times this season, including the Travers Stakes and the Pennsylvania Derby. Hall of Fame trainer Lukas won the 1999 Breeders' Cup Classic with Cat Thief.
11. RON THE GREEK; Jose Lezcano; Bill Mott; 8-1; A five-year-old who has won nine career races, including two this year. Mott won the 1995 Breeders' Cup Classic with Cigar and the 2011 race with Drosselmeyer.
12. FLAT OUT; Joel Rosario; Bill Mott; 12-1; The seven-year-old is the oldest runner in the race. Has won eight of 29 career starts and more than $3 million in prize money. Earlier this year, Rosario won the Dubai World Cup on Animal Kingdom then rode Orb to victory in the Kentucky Derby five weeks later. (Compiled by Julian Linden; Editing by Gene Cherry)