Friday, August 29, 2014 edition of the Golden Nuggets, a daily compilation of San Francisco 49ers links from around the Internet.
Every year, I tell myself that the fourth preseason game really isn't that bad, but the San Francisco 49ers just dominated the Houston Texans from start to finish and I was totally uninterested for the majority of the proceedings. Attempting to pay attention to that game was definitely an endeavor, but I think I managed to watch most of it. When I go to make some gifs, I'll watch the parts I missed.
Obviously, everyone is talking about the backup quarterback situation. Josh Johnson looked very good -- much better than Blaine Gabbert has since joining the 49ers. Gabbert struggles with his accuracy, stares down receivers and is totally incapable of making a read. Johnson was accurate and frequently made multiple reads. Obviously, I'd prefer Johnson as the backup but I have no idea how that will shake out.
Whatever the case, the next time the 49ers find themselves in a game, it will be actual, factual football. And against the Dallas Cowboys, of all teams. I can't think of a better way to begin a season after what has felt like a particularly long offseason. Onto your links.
49ers' 53-man roster projection (Biderman)
49ers swarm Texans in preseason finale (Associated Press)
Observation Deck: San Francisco 49ers (Gutierrez)
No Pain Means a Gain for 49ers in Summer Finale (NBC Bay Area)
More from sbnation.com:
- 49ers issue statement regarding dog abuse by Centerplate CEO, Desmond Hague
- Aldon Smith wearing a t-shirt that explains everything
- 53-man roster projection following first roster cuts
- 49ers vs. Texans, preseason 2014: Game Time, TV Schedule, Live Online Stream, Injuries
- Centerplate announces discipline for CEO Desmond Hague
- Sports Illustrated cover features Colin Kaepernick, Russell Wilson for NFL preview
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- San Francisco 49ers
- Houston Texans
- Blaine Gabbert
- Josh Johnson