Edina High School '98-born forward Garrett Wait announced via Twitter on Sunday evening that he has committed to the University of Minnesota:
Proud and excited to announce my commitment to the University of Minnesota thank you to every one that has helped me #maroonandgold— Garrett Wait (@Gwait17) August 25, 2014
Wait is a talented player that helped lead Edina to a state championship last year as a sophomore. He has solidified his status as a top-tier recruit with an excellent summer. He led the USA Select 16 Festival in scoring, and was ranked by SBN College Hockey's Jeff Cox as the fifth-best forward at the camp:
5. Garrett Wait (#18 Grey) 5-11/165 Edina High School - He's the type of player you have to watch for a little while before truly appreciating the skill he has. He's a very smart player who doesn't possess the flash. He just gets the job done with quick sharp passes in the zone. He has good hands, good speed and good vision from behind the goal line.
Wait also recently skated at the Minnesota Hockey Model Camp. Here was our scouting report on him:
Garrett Wait, '98, Edina HS-I was very high on Wait prior to his outstanding showing at the Select 16 Festival, where he led the camp in scoring. He didn't put up the same type of offensive numbers here(at least that I saw), but was still impressive. Listed at 154 lbs., he still needs to add a lot of mass to be effective at the next level, but he's a very smart player that uses his body to position himself effectively about as well as any player I've seen. He thinks the game one step ahead of everyone else and is always dangerous.
More from sbnation.com:
- Minnesota Model Camp Report
- Associate head coach Jim Tortorella out at UNH
- Jamie Armstrong Commits to Northeastern
- Kevin Hayes Signs with the New York Rangers
- Sonny Milano Will Sign with Columbus Blue Jackets
- Gophers Hockey: Mitch Rogge walks on as team's 15th forward
- Sports & Recreation
- University of Minnesota
- Edina High School