Mark Sanchez, on the other hand, looked sharp and showed a good command of the Jets offense.
Here's a look at five players who shined at the New York Jets OTAs:
1) Bart Scott: Scott, a 31-year-old linebacker for the New York Jets, had a tough year in 2011, but Rex Ryan thinks he's ready to breakout in 2012.
In Ryan's news conference on May 25, he said "When Bart's up, the team's up. That's what it seems like to me. He's a guy that's been jumping out at me. He's had a great off season. The fighting spirit that Bart has, I think you see it out there. It's evident. So he's a guy that's jumping out at me."
Scott also dropped 12 pounds, so he's quicker than ever.
2) Mark Sanchez: When Tim Tebow was traded from the Denver Broncos to the New York Jets in February, many fans and media outlets thought there would be a serious quarterback controversy brewing between him and Sanchez.
It's been anything but in the earlygoing, as Sanchez has been cool and calm under pressure, while Tebow threw interceptions on back-to-back passes on May 25. "
"It's definitely frustrating, but it's 7-on-7 and both those plays are the first time I've ran them. I'll learn from it," Tebow said in a nypost.com report. "Honestly, it won't bother me again. When you make a bad play, just put it behind you and move on. I feel like I did. I went out there the next team period and felt like I did OK. You just have to remember where you are and what you're doing. That was 7-on-7 and the first time running those plays."
In Ryan's May 25 presser, he said "I think [Mark] Sanchez is throwing the ball really well. He's got a live arm, a lot of zip on it."
3) Muhammad Wilkerson: Wilkerson, a 22-year-old defensive end, earned plenty of praise from Rex Ryan recently because he's been challenging himself hard in the offseason.
"Another guy, and I don't want to compare him to other players in the league and all that stuff, because I think this guy's going to write his own ticket, and that's Muhammad Wilkerson," Ryan said in a newyorkjets.com report. "So you see the jump that he's making. I had a conversation with him today about how it's interesting that the great ones challenge themselves every day."
Wilkerson is heading into his second season in the pro ranks, and the Jets desperately need him to mature and develop into an elite defensive end if they hope to contend for a playoff spot this season.
4) Josh Brown: According to an ESPN.com report, Brown nailed five of his six field goal attempts at the first OTA session open to the media. Nick Folk has been solid for the Jets since 2010, but there may be a battle brewing for the starting kicker's role as the offseason progresses.
5) Shonn Greene: Greene's downhill running style bruises and batters opponents, and part of the reason it works so well is due to his chiseled 226-pound frame.
ESPN reports that Greene appears to have lost a few pounds. I'm not sure if that's a positive for Greene, as he uses his powerful body to streamroll opponents. He might not want to get too slim and lose some of the brute force he's come to be known for.
Eric Holden is a lifelong New York Jets fan. Follow him on Twitter @ericholden.
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- New York Jets
- Mark Sanchez
- Tim Tebow
- Rex Ryan
- Bart Scott