CO! LOM! BIA! CO! LOM! BIA!
So when Louis van Gaal said it only took 24 hours to complete a transfer, this is what he was talking about. This time yesterday, Radamel Falcao was on his way to either Manchester City or Real Madrid; now he's a Manchester United player.
BREAKING: #mufc is delighted to announce Radamel Falcao has joined on a 1-year loan from Monaco with an option to buy pic.twitter.com/gnhR4rdsmF— Manchester United (@ManUtd) September 2, 2014
While a 28-year-old striker wasn't particularly high up on anybody's wish list, the reports yesterday evening that Robin van Persie might well require surgery on a lingering knee injury has apparently prompted this move. After Angel di Maria, Falcao is the second ridiculously good player to sign for United in as many weeks, and will presumably take the empty No. 9 shirt. He is also the first Colombian to play for Manchester United.
Since moving to Europe, Falcao has scored 155 goals in 200 games across Portugal, Spain and France. Though he missed much of last season and the World Cup with a ligament injury, his devastating form in Span and Portugal won him back to back Europa Leagues with Porto and Atletico Madrid, and earned him his big money move to Monaco.
Here is a video. Get excited.
More from sbnation.com:
- Radamel Falcao set to sign for United - report
- United chasing several transfers on deadline day - Live coverage
- United to make second Monaco raid - reports
- Manchester United make stunning late bid for Falcao
- Robin van Persie to undergo knee surgery - reports
- United to pay Falcao silly money - reports
- Welbeck "having medical" at Arsenal