Manchester City midfielder Fernandinho has revealed his delight at receiving a recall to the Brazil squad.
The 28-year-old former Shakhtar Donetsk star made a big-money move to the Premier League in June of last year and has been in fine form since making the switch to England.
He had not represented his country since Feburary 2012, when former coach Mano Menezes led his side to a 2-1 victory against Bosnia & Herzegovina, but was handed a recall by coach Luiz Felipe Scolari on Tuesday.
"I was hoping that chance would come," he told Globo. "Because the job I’ve done at Manchester City in recent months I was hoping there would be a space in the squad.
"This is the last chance before the finals [of the World Cup]. I was waiting for my moment. When the squad was announced I felt total joy. I was watching the internet for news, and I was very pleased."
The recall will also give Fernandinho a chance to rekindle with former teammate Willian, with whom he won four Ukrainian Premier League titles and the 2009 UEFA Cup.
"Willian is fantastic," Fernandinho said. "It was good to be with him in Ukraine, where we won several titles together… And who knows, maybe we can make a good team once again for the Selecao and win the sixth [world title]."
Fernandinho was one of 16 European-based players named in Scolari’s squad for the Gillette Brasil Global Tour friendly with South Africa in Johannesburg on March 5.
The remainder of the squad will be made up of domestic-based players to be confirmed at the end of February.
- Sports & Recreation
- Manchester City
- Premier League
- Luiz Felipe Scolari
- Shakhtar Donetsk
- Mano Menezes