Lionel Messi of Argentina is the betting favorite for top goalscorer at the World Cup in Brazil according to odds at Bovada.lv.
Messi is followed by his Barcelona teammate Neymar (Brazil) and Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) who plays professionally for Barcelona's top rival, Real Madrid, in Spain's La Liga.
Here are the odds for the top 20 players:
- Lionel Messi (Argentina) — 7/1
- Neymar (Brazil) —10/1
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) —12/1
- Sergio Aguero (Argentina) —14/1
- Luis Suarez (Uruguay) —18/1
- Gonzalo Higuain (Argentina) —20/1
- Romelu Lukaku (Belgium) —22/1
- Fred (Brazil) —25/1
- Karim Benzema (France) —25/1
- Robin Van Persie (Netherlands) —25/1
- Thomas Muller (Germany) —25/1
- Diego Costa (Spain) —28/1
- Edinson Cavani (Uruguay) —33/1
- Hulk (Brazil) —33/1
- Mario Balotelli (Italy) —33/1
- Miroslav Klose (Germany) —33/1
- Fernando Torres (Spain) —40/1
- Jo (Brazil) —40/1
- Olivier Giroud (France) —40/1
- Wayne Rooney (England) —40/1
To be the top goalscorer at the World Cup, a player must not only be great, but it helps if he plays for a team that is expected to go deep into the tournament.
Brazil and Argentina are the two top favorites to win the Tournament. The two favorites to be the top goalscorer are from those countries as well as five of the top eight favorites.
That is also why there are no Americans in the top 40.
More From Business Insider
- What Brazil's Brand-New, $3.6-Billion World Cup Stadiums Look Like
- FIFA Uses A Horribly Flawed Ranking Formula To Determine The Top Seeds At The World Cup
- The 6 Best Players At The 2014 World Cup
- Here's The Best-Case Scenario For The US At The World Cup
- The World Cup Groups Are Laughably Uneven, And It's Proof That FIFA's System Is Broken
- Personal Investing Ideas & Strategies
- Lionel Messi
- Cristiano Ronaldo