The former defensive player of the year, and two-time Super Bowl Champion retired from football Saturday.
I have made the difficult decision to retire as of today. My love for my family and the need to be there for them... http://t.co/ImKsz4K5Pt— James Harrison (@jharrison9292) August 30, 2014
James Harrison isn't going to play for the Arizona Cardinals this year, or any other NFL team. Through his verified Twitter account and his Facebook page, Harrison has decided to retire from football rather than return to the NFL for another season.
Harrison cites family as the main reason for his departure from the game. In a statement on his Facebook page, Harrison believes another season in the NFL isn't worth missing another monumental family event.
"I have made the difficult decision to retire as of today. My love for my family and the need to be there for them outweighs my desire to play the game. I have missed too may experiences with them because I devoted SO much time to my career. My love for the game isn't strong enough to make up for missing more more birthday or first day of school. I am retiring as a man who is truly grateful for all of his blessings. I am sincerely thankful to the people who have supported me over the years, first and foremost my family, the Rooney family and my Steelers family, also Mr. Brown, the Bengals organization and fans, ad last but FAR from least, Steeler Nation. Thank you."
Harrison's retirement marks the end to a career that included being a Pro Bowler 5 times, first team All-Pro twice, 3-time AFC Champion, the 2008 defensive player of the year, and winning two Super Bowls, not to mention one of the most memorable Pittsburgh Steelers to ever put on a Steelers uniform.
More from sbnation.com:
- Winners and Losers from the Steelers final preseason game
- Carolina shuts Pittsburgh out in preseason finale, 10-0
- Le'Veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount may not be suspended in 2014
- Congratulations to Dan McCullers, your 2014 Isaac Redman Award winner
- Which recently cut players the Steelers could target
- Steelers linebacker Jarvis Jones cannot be deemed a bust after one season
- Steelers injury report: Martavis Bryant left with separated shoulder
- Should the Steelers keep five or six receivers?
- Inside the Steelers Locker Room: Dale Grdnic's notes and quotes from Heinz Field
- Sports & Recreation
- American Football
- James Harrison