Daily News and Links for 8/26/14
- The Patriots made a series of roster moves in anticipation of Tuesday's mandatory NFL cut-down to a 75-man roster.
- Andy Hart projects the Patriots season-opening roster. Bolden out, Finch in.
- Paul Perillo argues that Stevan Ridley isn't the home-run hitter many fans believe he is.
- Erik Scalavino posts his news and notes from Monday at Gillette: Jimmy Garoppolo was handed a big opportunity as starter in the final preseason game Thursday; Brian Tyms is on the bubble.
- Press Pass - Jimmy Garoppolo (1.37 min. video) - Brian Tyms (3.25 min. video) - Kenbrell Thompkins (1.48 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Steve Beauharnais: "The opportunity of a lifetime" (1.35 min. video)
- Patriots Today - Sebastian Vollmer returns; other practice notes. (1.34 min. video)
- Mike Reiss notes the Patriots will start Jimmy Garoppolo in Thursday's preseason finale.
- Mike Reiss highlights Bill Belichick's thoughts on giving QB Jimmy Garoppolo the start in the preseason finale.
- Mike Reiss reports Adam Schefter revealed that the Patriots have not decided who the top backup to Tom Brady will be.
- Zuri Berry talks about how the players work to stay focused despite a week full of cuts and another preseason game.
- Lee Schechter tells us Sealver Siliga returned to practice Monday and was not sporting a cast/brace on his left wrist.
- Zuri Berry notes that despite having his hand in a splint, Sealver Siliga returned to the practice field yesterday along with Sebastian Vollmer and Cameron Gordon.
- Christopher Price thumbnails the five most important Patriots not named Tom Brady.
- Ryan Hannable highlights Vince Wilfork on WEEI: "This is as strong as I have ever been in my career."
- Oliver Thomas notes that a four-game suspension isn't stopping WR Brian Tyms from making his case for a roster spot.
- Adam Kurkjian notes that for Steve Beauharnais, the learning curve with the Patriots has been steeper than that of his fellow Rutgers alumni.
- Mike Giardi jumps in with his roster projection: Jimmy G in, Mallett out.
- Mike Reiss projects the Patriots practice squad.
- Lee Schechter reports Devin McCourty received the Ron Burton Community Service Award at Monday evening's Patriots Premier on the Field event.
- Mike Reiss notes Tom Brady said Monday it was hard to see former teammate and good friend Wes Welker sustain his third concussion in less than a year.
- Karen Guregian Patriots Notebook: Jimmy Garoppolo will be the starting QB Thursday against the Giants in what could be his chance to claim the top backup job away from Ryan Mallett; Garoppolo is excited to get quality reps against an opponent's top defense; Pats need to cut 8 more players by 4 PM today; Devin McCourty was honored last night at the 'Patriots Premiere'.
- Mark Farinella Patriots Notebook: Brandon Bolden may have trouble holding onto his job.
- Josh Alper (ProFootballTalk) Giants starters will play Thursday night, Odell Beckham won’t.
- Pete Prisco (CBS Sports) Ten breakout players: Collins, Patterson, Ellington poised for big years.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) One way or the other, Ryan Mallett could be done in New England.
- Nick Mensio (Yahoo! Sports) Ridley on roster bubble?
- Staff Report (CBS Sports) 2014 NFL season preview: Who'll be the best, worst? /Pats get a token amount of love.
- Staff Report (NFL.com) Season previews: Team-by-team breakdown.
- Darin Gantt (ProFootballTalk) Cardinals taking a look at Tommy Kelly.
- Mike Florio (ProFootballTalk) NFLPA increases pensions for 1,722 former players.
More from sbnation.com:
- New England Patriots Links 8/23/14 - Recapping Patriots' 30-7 Win over Panthers
- Patriots vs. Panthers: Fan Notes from the Preseason
- Patriots vs. Panthers Final Score: Pats Dominant Dress Rehearsal, Win 30-7
- New England Patriots Links 8/22/14 - Preseason Week 3: Patriots vs. Panthers
- Preseason Week 3 Patriots vs Panthers: What to Watch For