The Miami Dolphins are starting their final round of roster cuts. Who is on the bubble?
The Miami Dolphins have already started their final round of roster cuts, reportedly telling tight end Kyle Miller he will be released. While some of the players to be cut will be easier to predict, it is the players on the fringe that are the hardest to project. Who is on the roster bubble as the Saturday, 4pm ET deadline approaches?
1. Daniel Thomas, running back - Thomas has spent the entire offseason and preseason on the roster bubble. Was Thursday night's 13 carry, 39 yards, 1 touchdown performance enough to keep him on the roster? Prediction: 53-man roster.
2. Jordan Kovacs, safety - Kovacs is fighting with Michael Thomas and Don Jones for, what is likely, one roster spot. Kovacs could make the roster as a special teams player, but he has to be considered a long shot at this point. Prediction: Cut.
3. Jonathan Freeny, linebacker - Freeny's roster spot is probably a matter of simple math, and he is on the wrong side of the formula. Dannell Ellerbe, Koa Misi, Philip Wheeler, Jelani Jenkins, Chris McCain, and Jordan Tripp all seem to be ahead of Freeny, while Jason Trusnik could also make the linebacker group as a special teams/veteran presence. Prediction: Cut.
4. Sam Brenner, center - Brenner's roster spot may come down to the health of Mike Pouncey. If the team feels like the Pro Bowler is getting close to returning from his hip surgery, Brenner may be out of a job. If they think it may be a while, they may try to hold on to Brenner, potentially using one of the roster spot freed up by the suspensions of Dion Jordan and Reshad Jones. Prediction: 53-man roster until Pouncey is ready to play.
5. Marcus Thigpen, wide receiver/running back/returner - It is very hard to predict what will happen to Thigpen. Jarvis Landry has looked good at times as a punt returner, and Damien Williams has worked as a kick returner. Thigpen has a role on the roster, but the roster may not have the numbers. Prediction: 53-man roster, filling a spot from the Jordan/Jones suspensions
More from sbnation.com:
- NFL calendar 2014: When are roster cuts, other important dates?
- Detroit Lions Claim former Miami Dolphin Michael Egnew off Waivers
- Dolphins roster cuts: Miami trims roster to 75 players; Full list of cuts
- NFL roster cuts 2014: Dolphins trim roster to 75
- Dolphins roster cuts must be completed by 4pm ET today; Current roster status
- Mike Pouncey injured hip re-evaluation has 'favorable' results