It's no coincidence that bald guys are good at mixed martial arts.
Sporting a clean-shaven dome in an MMA fight doesn't just look cool, it also adds an element of intimidation and provides for easier escapes when one's head is trapped in a tight Muay Thai clinch.
It may sound silly, but fighters who have bald heads can slip out of tough grappling situations when they start sweating late in a round. When fighters start getting slick and wet, the bald fighter will ultimately have the advantage.
HeadBlade, the leader in headcare products for bald men, continued its partnership with the sport of mixed martial arts by sponsoring a handful of high-caliber fighters.
In no particular order, here's a look at the top ten best bald MMA fighters of all-time:
1) Bas Rutten: Rutten went on an incredible stretch of over a decade without losing a fight, as he wrapped up his MMA career with a 22-fight unbeaten streak that spanned from the mid-90s until 2006.
2) Shane Carwin: Carwin's receding hairline become more and more noticeable by his mid-30s, but he looked like a new man when he embraced the HeadBlade and the bald look for his fight in 2010 against Brock Lesnar. Lately, he has been watching from the sidelines while recovering from back surgery.
3) Josh Burkman: "The People's Warrior" is another sponsored HeadBlader who is an MMA standout. He's gone 5-1 since getting cut from the UFC in 2008, so perhaps we'll see him back in the octagon before his career is in the books.
4) Randy Couture: "The Natural" is one of the greatest fighters in UFC history, and he looked ten years younger when he finally embraced baldness for his fight in 2010 against James Toney.
5) Chuck Liddell: Liddell isn't officially bald, but he's another sponsored fighter by HeadBlade. He successfully defended his light heavyweight championship belt four times, and his career is legendary for the classic efforts he put in against Wanderlei Silva, Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz and others.
6) Benji Radach: 32-year-old MMA fighter Benji Radach has a clean-shaven dome that ranks among the most stylish in the sport. Unfortunately, he's been M.I.A. from the octagon since 2010, after suffering back-to-back losses to Scott Smith and Ovince St. Preux.
7) Anderson Silva: Silva is argueably the greatest MMA fighter of all-time, as he holds the UFC record for most consecutive title defenses with nine.
8) Frank Trigg: 40-year-old welterweight Frank Trigg has stepped in with the "who's who" in the sport since 2005, going toe-to-toe with the likes of Matt Hughes, Georges St-Pierre, Matt Serra and Carlos Condit. He's one of my favorite bald guys in MMA, as he sports the look with class and professionalism.
9) Demetrious Johnson: 25-year-old flyweight Demetrious Johnson has been rocking the bald look every since his UFC debut in 2011. He's considered to be perhaps the fastest MMA fighter in the game right now, and his quickness makes him extremely fun to watch.
10) Jorge Rivera: "El Conquistador" had a beautiful bald dome that was perfectly fitting of his intense personality. He wrapped up his MMA career on Jan. 20 with a knockout victory of Eric Schafer.
Honorable Mention: Lavar Johnson, Ben Rothwell and Cheick Kongo. UFC President Dana White also deserves some props for sporting a clean-shaven dome.
Does having a bald head provide a slight advantage in an MMA fight? Let me know in the comments.
Eric Holden, a bald man and HeadBlader since 2004, is a lifelong UFC fan and supporter of the sport of mixed martial arts. Follow him on Twitter @ericholden.
www.sherdog.com, Sherdog, fighter stats
- Sports & Recreation
- Martial Arts
- mixed martial arts