David Price has been traded to the Detroit Tigers by the Tampa Bay Rays according to Ken Rosenthal on the MLB Network.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com is reporting that the deal also involves the Seattle Mariners with pitcher Drew Smyly going from the Tigers to the Rays. The Rays will also receive middle infielder Nick Franklin from the Mariners with outfielder Austin Jackson going from the Tigers to Seattle.
The Rays will also receive 18-year-old shortstop prospect Willy Adames from the Tigers.
The move is huge because the Rays have played their way back into the playoff race and are just 5.5 games behind in the Wild Card race.
Meanwhile, the Tigers now have the last three pitchers to win the American League Cy Young Award, including Price (2012), Justin Verlander (2011), and Max Scherzer (2013).
More From Business Insider
- Ryan Howard's Historic $125 Million Contract Has Turned Into A Nightmare For The Phillies
- Another Sign That The Death Of Baseball Has Been Greatly Exaggerated
- Baseball Hall Of Fame Makes A Huge Change That Will Screw Players Linked To Steroids
- Young Pitcher Slams David Ortiz For Acting Like He Is 'Bigger Than The Game'
- Baseball's New Playoff Format Has Killed The Trade Deadline