UFC President Dana White revealed in Macau that he is nowhere near closing a deal with Gina Carano and will not know anymore on the subject until September.
The UFC President was asked in Macau whether he had gotten any closer to signing the former Strikeforce Featherweight champion, which he responded to in typical fashion.
"It's complicated, but I think we are close," said White. "I think we're close."
White went on to explain that he initially had a plan for Rousey vs. Carano, which has now been placed on the backburner until there are developments with Carano's contract negotiations.
"I had plans, but now I don't know. We have to see how this thing plays out. I wouldn't know more about that until September. First week of September I should have more answers."
While hardly any fan or pundit considers Gina Carano a legitimate threat to Ronda Rousey, the reigning women's bantamweight champion admit to practicing caution against Carano since she is one of the few women with legitimate knockout power.
"Ever since the beginning I have been positive that Gina is the worst style match-up for me," Rousey said in Macau. "Even in the feeling of distance and timing, that stuff doesn't go away if you take time off. Those things are always with you like a bicycle. Gina's not going to start training when the fight is announced. She's already been training for months. I think she started quite a while ago and she only has me in mind. I expect that she's going to be extremely prepared and a very dangerous opponent despite what other people might speculate."
More from sbnation.com:
- Sucking a little less: Emmy winner Anthony Bourdain on his Brazilian Jiu-jitsu addiction, his new book and wondering how fat Guy Fieri needs to be
- Ken Shamrock has ‘issues’ with War Machine after the fighter took his 17-year-old daughter to Mexico and left her stranded
- UFC fighter Elizabeth Phillips goes off after loss: 'I hate the UFC'
- Michael Bisping batters bloodied Cung Le en route to 4th round TKO
- Tyron Woodley knocks out Dong Hyun Kim in just over 1 minute
- UFC Fight Night Tulsa: Co-main event fighter Jordan Mein's father arrested at weigh-ins
- Georges St. Pierre says he will never return to the UFC without independent drug testing
- Martial Arts
- Sports & Recreation
- Gina Carano
- Dana White