Everyone likes to mock the coverage of college football recruiting as pointless, overhyped and a testament to all that is wrong with modern sports. They may very well be correct.
For all its obvious issues, it's still something fun to follow, even if you don't have a specific team in the hunt.
First, there's an appropriate shout out to unapologetic recruiting fan Scott Van Pelt. Then, Mike delivers some old stories of Joe Paterno the recruiter and how Terrelle Pryor delayed his decision out of deference to JoePa, who made the last in-home visit to Pryor's house in Jeannette, Pa.
Other topics in this wide-ranging discussion:
• Why Alabama keeps killing it.
• The impressive success of USC in the face of scholarship limitations and the failure of a number of Pac-12 schools to capitalize on the Trojans' situation thus far.
[Related: USC recruiting thrives despite sanctions]
• Why the SEC hasn't tried to mine California harder and how Notre Dame is making headway there.
• How the Big 12 clearly has helped push TCU with a number of higher-rated prospects – five four-star commitments thus far.
• The transition Nebraska appears to be making in recruiting now that it is in Big Ten – less Texas, more Midwest. And with Urban Meyer and Brady Hoke working the region, that's a challenge for the Huskers.
• Gunner Kiel's three-school commitment process and whether that's a warning sign or just part of the public nature of a highly rated quarterback's decisions.
• Predictions on all of the currently uncommitted top-50 recruits: Dorial Green-Beckham, Eddie Goldman, Stefon Diggs, Darius Hamilton, Tracy Howard, Zach Banner, Nelson Agholor, Kyle Murphy, Aziz Shittu, Josh Harvey-Clemons, Andrus Peat, Joshua Garnett, Thomas Johnson and Devin Fuller.
There are about a million more nuggets scattered throughout, so check it out here or later on iTunes via "Dan Wetzel Yahoo Sports."
And happy National Signing Day.