SAO PAULO (AP) -- Constructors say they have removed the giant roofing structure that destroyed part of the World Cup stadium in Sao Paulo after a crane collapsed last year.
Constructor Odebrecht says it cleared the 500-ton metal structure Thursday, about two months after it crumbled along with the crane. Two workers were killed in the accident, which caused significant damage to the stadium that will host the World Cup opener on June 12.
Odebrecht said in a statement that, with the metal structure out of the way, it can begin repair work.
The Itaquerao is among five stadiums yet to be completed for the World Cup. It is expected to be finished in mid-April, nearly two months before Brazil hosts Croatia in the opener.
- Sports & Recreation