Cobi Hamilton might have finally earned a spot on the 53-man roster with his performance Thursday against the Indianapolis Colts.
Because of Marvin Jones and James Wright's injuries, Hamilton essentially has had a spot on the 53-man roster handed to him on a silver platter. However, he'd yet to reach out and grab it heading into Thursday's preseason finale.
Dropped passes and a lack of impact on special teams looked like it could prevent him from making it through final cuts, but he stepped up big time against the Colts.
His biggest play of the night came in the fourth quarter, where he caught a short pass from Tyler Wilson, avoided a defender and then turned on the jets as he blazed to the end zone.
H/T to Fansided for the GIF
Though it came against mostly Colts who won't even make the roster, that play was just a glimpse at the kinds of plays Hamilton was making on the practice squad last year and in training camp this year.
That play, along with a special teams tackle in the fourth quarter, helped lock up a roster spot. Yes, a tackle on special teams actually may help sway the coaches to keep him.
To this point, Hamilton's lack of impact on special teams has really hurt his chances of making the roster.
More from sbnation.com:
- NFL Preseason Roster Cut Tracker 2014
- Steelers won't punish Le'Veon Bell or LeGarrette Blount; Will play vs Panthers
- Bengals vs Cardinals: Biggest Dress Rehearsal Disappointments
- Josh Gordon goes all in, but loses appeal; Will miss 2014 NFL Season
- Film Room: Russell Bodine continues to get pushed around
- 2014 Cincinnati Bengals Player Previews
- Bengals Roster Cuts: 75-Man Roster set; Must be 53 by Saturday
- Dennard, Green-Ellis, Gresham dealing with injuries and ailments