The Cavs are going to be championship contenders, so I guess stuff like this will happen.
Zydrunas Ilgauskas is 39 years old.
He has not played in the NBA since the 2010-2011 season.
At the end of said season, he was benched in the playoffs in favor of Joel Anthony.
Apparently though that doesn't matter. On his show "The Rizzo Show", ESPN Cleveland's Tony Rizzo reported that Ilgauskas will be coming back to the Cavaliers if he is medically cleared. Apparently it would be 10-15 minutes a night and no back to backs. He reiterated this today on "The Really Big Show":
Where do I begin? Do I think Zydrunas is looking to come back just months after his jersey retirement? Probably not. Do I think he's physically capable of playing in the NBA again? No, not really. Do I think the Cavs have a vacant place at the end of the bench next to Brendan Haywood and James Jones for him to Juwan Howard his way through the season? Perhaps. We all love Z, but he was pretty close to done 3 seasons ago and I highly doubt he has 10-15 minutes a night worth of tread left on those tires.
We'll see how this unfolds. Maybe the Cavs just want another person to smack around John Wall.
Who is your pick for the next close to 40-year-old that will want to make their comeback with the Cavs?
More from sbnation.com:
- NBA Free Agency: LeBron James will seek a maximum contract this summer
- Farewell, Fear the Sword
- NBA rumors: Cavaliers reportedly heading to New Jersey to offer Kyrie Irving maximum contract extension
- NBA Offseason: Selection of Andrew Wiggins shows Cavaliers will value fit in free agency
- NBA Free Agency: Exploring the Cleveland Cavaliers salary cap situation
- Fear the Sword announces new staffing changes
- Sports & Recreation