Buzzing on Yahoo Sports:

Carlos Condit to Meet Tyron Woodley at UFC 171

MMAWeekly.com
Carlos Condit vs. Tyron Woodley to Serve as UFC 171 Co-Main Event
.

View photo

Carlos Condit vs. Tyron Woodley to Serve as UFC 171 Co-Main Event

It appears that repeated text messages to Dana White can pay off after all.

A pivotal welterweight match between Carlos Condit and Tyron Woodley has been scheduled for UFC 171 in Dallas, UFC officials announced on Tuesday.

The Condit-Woodley fight is expected to be featured on the pay-per-view portion of the card, which takes place on March 15.

Condit (29-7) is a former UFC interim welterweight champion, having earned that crown with a unanimous-decision win over Nick Diaz at UFC 143. He then went on to fight then-champion Georges St-Pierre, dropping a unanimous decision in that affair at UFC 154.

Condit then went on to lose a fight to Johny Hendricks, but picked up a statement win in his last effort with a TKO of Martin Kampmann at UFC Fight Night 27.

Woodley (12-2) came into the UFC in the summer of 2012, fresh off the heels of his first career loss. He has since gone 2-1 in the Octagon with wins over Jay Hieron and Josh Koscheck, dropping just one fight to Jake Shields.

The former Strikeforce standout texted UFC President White 15 times a day in an effort to secure a fight with Condit, according to the executive. It was something White said he loved to see and hear from his fighters.

“The guy can't text me enough,” White said. “He wants every fight.”

UFC 171 will be headlined by a fight for the vacant UFC welterweight title between Hendricks and Robbie Lawler. St-Pierre vacated the title late last week, citing intense pressure being champion and a need to address personal problems.

(Follow @Erik_Fontanez on Twitter)

Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

View Comments (7)