Undefeated Saul "Canelo" Alvarez is currently scheduled to face Josesito Lopez on Sept. 15, and the WBC light middleweight champion is already looking into the future.
Golden Boy Promotions officials made it clear they didn't think the rising Mexican star was ready for the likes of Floyd Mayweather after his last fight against "Sugar" Shane Mosley, but the 22 year-old thinks he's ready to test his skills against the very best.
"I would love to fight Mayweather," Alvarez said during an interview with World Boxing News. "My manager knows it and Golden Boy knows it. Even Mayweather knows it - It's no secret. … I think all world champions would like to be the only champion at their weight and I'm not an exception. But many times bigger matches can be made outside that plan. I just want boxing fans to feel that I'm the real world champion at 154."
Given the shocking upsets that have taking place within the last month - one of which includes Lopez, Alvarez understands that overlooking his next opponent simply isn't an option. He vows Lopez will remain his sole focus until the two square up at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nev.
"Now I'm concentrating on Lopez," Alvarez said. "I can't look past September 15th. [Amir] Khan and [Victor] Ortiz suffered big upset defeats lately and I will focus on that not happening to me."
Alvarez will have a significant size advantage against Lopez, and he'll also be the technically superior fighter. The odds are certainly in his favor, and I expect him to emerge victorious.
Even though I don't think Alvarez is ready for Mayweather, it's hard to predict how much he'll improve over the next six months. I personally would rather see him step up against a Miguel Cotto or Manny Pacquiao, before trying to test his skills against the sports' pound-for-pound king.
Phil D. Jay, "Canelo Not Looking Past Josesito, But Wants Mayweather"
Fight and fighter information from BoxRec.com
More from the Yahoo! Contributor Network: